Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn signal/ flasher unit fail/replace  (Read 924 times)

Just Enuf Essential Pain

Turn signal/ flasher unit fail/replace
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »

I have a vehicle in mind to buy.  It seems honest enough.  The only obvious fault being indicators not working.  The hazard functions correctly.

Presumably, this is down to the flasher unit.  Unless there is a more common or fundamental issue which afflicts these?

1998 Cherokee 2.5TD

Nosebolt

Re: Turn signal/ flasher unit fail/replace
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

usually down to the relay, easy test is to pop out the hazard relay and swap it with the indicator relay, they will flash at the wrong speed but will show if its the relay or something else

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the flasher unit not working, this will be the least of your worries, its a 2.5l TD :hysterical:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

:imwitstupid:

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »

There is only one flasher relay. It's possible that corrosion in the lamp units could affect just the turn signals but the load presented when the hazards are used is enough to make the flasher work normally. Corrosion of the copper within the switch can also cause the same sort of problems. I doubt it's anything major. It probably needs the bulbs removing and the sockets checking, grounds cleaning and if that doesn't help/fix it look at the switch. If there are issues you will usually find corrosion in the copper that is visable from the rear of the switch or in the connector. If the issue is with the switch replacing it should fix it.

There may be a continuity test for the switch in the FSM but I'm up early so not going to look for it now.

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

:imwitstupid: only 1 relay for turn and hazard

switches are notorious for playing up, same as early TJ's, not crazy money to replace
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Just Enuf Essential Pain

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

Thanks all.

I pondered, drove it and then pondered some more.  I currently am a non-jeep owner.  I was in two minds, and for the money, if I had the time, then I would have gone for it.  But it's not meant to be a tinker toy, just yet. So, I decided against it.
As it happens, both of my money pits are also becoming available again today, so I can take my time choosing.

I quite liked the diesel, to be honest, and as 2 of my machines are sensible 4.2 V8s it would be fun to live on the edge with a chip-oil burner.

Ultimately, it would be a great idea to have a fun offroader.

Maybe I should adjourn the discussion to another part of the forum.  Let my madness out, there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up