Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.7crd Injector seal changed now wont start (solved)  (Read 3703 times)

chig49supra

2.7crd Injector seal changed now wont start (solved)
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Well, I've had the jeep for a week now and already run into a problem. I bought it knowing that an injector was leaking so, after doing some other jobs that needed doing (I got it for a good price) I decided to take it apart and have a look at why it was leaking as I could hear a chuffing sound and saw the dreaded black death around injector No.2.

I got the engine really hot so I wouldn't strip any bolts that had by now become impregnated with bitumen and removed the injector which was not too hard with the bolt down mercedes tool. Sure enough, the injector seal (copper washer) had deformed slightly and had black marks where it had failed. I cleaned up the area a little but did not have anything to ream the recess with properly and then replaced the washer with a new one and put it all back together. When I tried to start it I had no joy whatsoever: it would turn over and diesel was getting to the injectors but it would not start despite bleeding the whole system. On a positive note - the chuffing sound had stopped but that was a mute point bearing in mind the car now wouldn't start and had no MIL light on.

I checked all over the place to see if anyone had had the same problem (and found no posts that were of use to me) as I was running short on time because my wife is due to give birth in 2 days time so I had to resort to taking it to a garage who were able to find the problem quite quickly as a result of me letting them know what I'd already checked; my thoughts were that I had damaged the injector but as these are expensive parts I wanted it tested to confirm before wasting a shed load of cash. Sure enough the garage confirmed (after doing a leak by test) that the injector was toast. It seems that it was stuck open which was what was causing the Jeep not to start. The mechanic said that I was unlucky - there was probably a little bit of crap in there from when I cleaned the area which caused the injector to stick open so I am now waiting for a new one which should cure the problem.

Anyway, I thought I'd create a post so that anyone who might be in the same situation in future might have an idea.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: 2.7crd Injector seal changed now wont start (solved)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »

coulldn't you get the injector servided?  or are they sealed at the factory
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

chig49supra

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:54:56 PM »

I must admit that aside from taking it apart to get it out I hadn't checked if there were any user serviceable parts. I would rather get another injector this time round because my wife is due to have a baby in 2 days time so I don't have the time to play with  reconditioning it. It was pretty manky anyway, the previous owner had tried to do some jobs on the car and failed miserably at them - this was very obvious when I changed the turbo and found things half removed or not installed properly. Next job is to change the front disks and pads but that can wait until after the baby is born as it's more a job I always do when I get a new car (it stops OK now but they are worn).

Mike2909

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »

Happens more than you think if you don't make sure all the crap is removed. We have had it happen on a Sprinter with the same engine. Good to see you got it sorted anyway.
Apart from the same problem you have had with the injector seal I have had 18 months trouble free motoring. Make sure you change the fuel filter as and when it should.
Pages: [1]   Go Up