Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2000 XJ Orvis, 4.0, stuck in 4WD?  (Read 1580 times)

originalracingsnake

2000 XJ Orvis, 4.0, stuck in 4WD?
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »

Morning dastards,

I used the Jeep in 4WD yesterday, just shifted from 2WD to part time to climb a grassy slope before shifting back to 2WD. The odd thing is that it now drives as if it is in 4WD still... I get a little pulsing or wobbing of the steering wheel when applying steering lock on the move... So, aside from the shot UJ's on the front stubs, and the fact the transfer case has not been looked at in over 10k miles...

I have alist to do when I get home this weekend.

Check the linkage is not bound up. It shifts smoothly at the lever through 2WD, 4WD part, 4WD full and N, and then into 4LO so I don't suspect a faulty linkage, yet.

Check the transfer case fluid level.

Anything else?

I've heard that reversing up in 2WD should pop it into 2WD from 4WD, and that coasting in N and then shifting to 2WD might also work.

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
Re: 2000 XJ Orvis, 4.0, stuck in 4WD?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »

Differences in tread depth front to rear will stop shifting. Drive forwards, stick gearbox in n, let in coast a bit then shift the transfer case, used to work for me.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

The selector is spring loaded inside the 'box, so as soon as there's even a sniff of wind-up, it won't shift till the pressure is relieved.
Drive it onto a loose surface (gravel, wet grass or something similar) and with the selector in 2H give it some welly to spin the wheels up a couple of times, and it should come out of 4WD with a bit of a bang. Alternatively,carefully jack it up at the rear and wiggle the wheels back and forth, then put it down and drive it back and forth straight turning and it should release.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »

I eventually found the knack to changing mine is to get the Jeep moving in a perfectly straight line (any speed), pop the transmission in neutral, slam the transfer case lever where I want it to go, then back into drive and carry on.
It used to get stuck regularly, but hasn't done so for several years when using this technique. I often change it back and forth whilst commuting just to keep it all working right. :001:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

Best thing to do is just leave it in 4H. Handles better , evens up tyre wear, and fuel saving and wear and tear is miniscule.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »

If your front axle was making the same noise that mine does you'd quickly change your mind - I think it might need some attention  :banghead:

originalracingsnake

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:03:10 AM »

Update for you. It's back in 2WD. I have no idea how it happened as I was away all week but SWMBO reported that the steering wobbles had stopped... Not one to let sleeping dogs lie, I changed the transfer case fluid yesterday. Just in case. Now it moves between drive modes flawlessly and seems to run more quietly. Bonus! Pre drain fluid levels were fine too. So, we'll see how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up