Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake upgrade  (Read 2590 times)

dtooth

Brake upgrade
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

since the rear drums on the XJ are sh!te i'd thought i'd look at a rear disc convert so i got me some grand Cherry rear disc pre 99 and a pair of rover 820 rear calipers

after much redoing of the bracket i'm on version 3 which is a 12mm plate possibly welded probably bolted on behind the axle flange with the caliper just off center to keep the cable out of harms way .

still in the process of fab'ing the bracket .

While doing the rear i stumbled apon a Range Rover(RR) front 4 pot caliper and with a small amount modifing i have been able to fit it to the front of the xj

These are the two pipe type and although with a t-piece you can run them with a single line i thinking of running them the same as the RR and spliting the rear brake circuit to the front as well hopfully helping with the biasing front and rear .

theres a huge amount of info on pirate about brakes  http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/

which i'm going to work though to see if i need to change the Master Cylinder(MC) for a RR one or a Grand cherry or late model system .

has anyone got a diagram of a Range rover classic system to hand .
and does anyone know the bore  diameter of a RR MC ?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »

i like what you are doing but can you find a better caliper i used to find the 820 jobs a bit shit on fleet servicing we would go to change the pads and end up replacing the caliper as you could not get the internal handrake doings to work again after winding it back to fit the pads

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dtooth

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »

theres plenty of hydro/mechanical calipers out there Honda /vw golf ford scorpio/probe  or even a wilwood

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... s_id=10563

i choose the rover one because the handbrake cable comes straight out the back so easier to run the cable along the axle alot of others are angled meaning crap hand brake cable runs .
Pages: [1]   Go Up