Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgent help needed on brake problem.  (Read 929 times)

peters877

Urgent help needed on brake problem.
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »

Hi
I am hoping that somebody can help me.

I have just changed front calipers on my 2000 XJ. Before removing brake pipes from calipers the pipes were clamped to prevent fluid loss.

Old calipers replaced with the new ones all bolted in and brake pipes reconnected and clamps removed.

This is where the problem arises.

The system was bled and as I thought all fine until I pressed brake pedal and it went straight to the floor and red brake warning light came on.

I have bled and bled system, rears , fronts and block below master cylinder, but all with same result. I firm pedal , leave it a minute and then press pedal and it goes straight to floor.

I had no issues prior to changing calipers, only changed them due to one seizing.

What is the problem??

I have changed calipers on Mercedes ML  and , bled system and no problems.  I cannot understand what is wrong with the Jeep.

I need to sort this as I need Jeep for work tomorrow.

Any info welcome asap.

Thanks
Paul

YT

Re: Urgent help needed on brake problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »

From what I've seen before on here, xj calipers take a LOT of fluid to fill. When I was bleeding bike brake systems, I'd clamp the Pistons fully into the caliper before bleeding, bleed, then fit the calipers, pump the pistons out then top the fluid up. If your stuck, it's worth a try.

peters877

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »

inspect the caliper seal for a small leak and the banjo connection to the calipers.

bleed rear left, rear right, front left then front right. shouldn't need to bleed the M/C unless you have pumped it dry by accident. If the ABS unit has air in the unit then you will have to bleed that first before everything else. google should help in finding a suitable process
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up