Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ7 clutch fork issue (/sob story...)  (Read 1520 times)

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
CJ7 clutch fork issue (/sob story...)
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

Just put a new clutch in the CJ (and by the way, found the 3 speed transmission on the CJ7 to be very heavy... :icon_eek: ) and have botched it...

Basically, the clutch no longer disengages properly even on full adjustment. The "normal" amount of pedal movement achieves nothing at all but if you actually squash it the last inch to the floor (which requires a great deal of effort...) it does eventually disengage.

After much swearing etc. I think the answer is that I have fitted a "wrong" clutch release fork. This is particularly annoying as:
a. I did not actually need to change the damn fork in the first place and
b. If I had compared the new and old side by side I would have seen they were slightly different  :banghead:

This is on the basis of looking into the bell housing "in-situ" (is that how you spell "in-situ"?? - I don't think I have ever written that down before...) through the lever hole, so not a perfect view.

What appears to be happening "on the last inch" is that as the fork pivots on its nice new ball bearing it eventually fouls the back of the access port and starts levering on the side of the bellhousing itself, which is where it is getting the extra reach from.

Anybody else come across this? I have not yet taken the transmission out again, but assuming the above description is correct, what fork have I actually put in there?

John

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: CJ7 clutch fork issue (/sob story...)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »

Why are you not using the original fork?

What box is it? T14, T15, T150

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »

hydraulic?    has it been bled fully or air still in the system

cable? too much slack in the cable?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »

Its a 3 speed T150 with mechanical linkage.

Could have used the old fork.... that's what is annoying... but we thought the "ball bearing in a cup" pivot was literally a "cup" in the fork, wheras the one we took off was a "ball bearing in a trough about 3/8 inch longer than it was wide", so we thought it had worn itself a groove, so I bought a new one. When it arrived we found out that the new one was a trough, just like the old one, but the new one was not worth sending back, so we used it.... :icon_sad: [/size][size=78%]So now we are going to take the transmission out again, make sure what the problem actually is and hopefully just put the old one back.[/size]

johnnyboy

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »

Update: We fixed it  8-)

Or at least mostly...

Everyone was adamant that there is only one sort of fork, and we really (really...) did not want to take the transmission out again, so we took the (mechanical) linkage off.

And it was very worn. As in VERY worn.

So I got a new linkage "kit" from Lighthouse... for £65.... which consisted of everything in the linkage bar the actual pedal and the release fork in the bellhousing... maybe 20 different parts.... including rods, adjusters, bushes, springs, brackets to chassis and bellhousing... maybe weighed about 5 kilos....

Definitely a Linkage kit, not a linkage repair kit. Probably the best value car part I have ever bought.

Easy to fit and clutch now works.

Original had done 97,000 miles, and had presumably been adjusted for wear at some point in the last 39 years so we had a combination of "clutch almost worn out so disengaging at first touch" with "linkage almost worn out so pedal moving a long way to achieve anything" cancelling each other out - until we put in a new clutch...

Pages: [1]   Go Up