Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VM 2.5 TD nightmare  (Read 1714 times)

algarve-xj

VM 2.5 TD nightmare
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:10:48 PM »

Blown head gasket a couple of times, now suitably ticked off. No real answers here in Portugal. Lots of the usual. Some fairly good comments from Aussies, a few people are operating in a similarly hot climate. What I would like to consider is a complete engine swap, anybody tried that ? Of course all help  is welcome, if anyone has ever cured the well known issues of VM. PS: this 2001 XJ  2.5TD is a work horse so looking for sensible solutions as the scapheap is not far away  :jump_125:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: VM 2.5 TD nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »

Hi
You could have warped heads therefor you would not get a proper seal on the head gasket.
also when you fill the engine with coolant do you jack up the back of the jeep so the engine is level so cylinder one does not have an air lock.

Also I have an 2.5 td engine out of a XJ that is sound if interested

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »

Head gaskets do not normally blow - heads go porous and blow air in that way.

I did one that had to heads blowing to air when I stripped it - but I had hopped in it and driven 500 miles in a day just before stipping it - it drove OK, just a ticking like buggery
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

algarve-xj

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:56:42 PM »

Thanks for not taking the p...... fairly sure the head is knackered and blown the gasket, as coolant was all along the road and engine bay is now a rusty red. As I mentioned this is the second time that this has happened, both times were on very hot days (38 - 41c) after a fairly steep climb, first one up the side of a deep river valley ( about 1.5km  trail) second on a steepish mountain road after about 17km continuous up hill run.
     Family in Aus. tell me this was asking for trouble as Jeepers there maintain the coolant expansion bottle sits to low for any long hill climbs. Might be true ! Also a lot of them seem to have got rid of the AC rad. Here the general consenses tells me I need to lay out for genuine VM heads as no copy cuts the mustard. Bit costly. Would be willing to ship an engine but don't see that being cheap either.
Hi
You could have warped heads therefor you would not get a proper seal on the head gasket.
also when you fill the engine with coolant do you jack up the back of the jeep so the engine is level so cylinder one does not have an air lock.

Also I have an 2.5 td engine out of a XJ that is sound if interested

Whats your best price, and whats still left on it.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »

Hi
its got a turbo and alternator but no water pump
would need new spill pips and the water bridge needs reattaching
I paid £350 for it so you can have it for that plus cost of shipping

Pages: [1]   Go Up