Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Snorkels  (Read 2925 times)

Katamarino

Snorkels
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »

I wheel in the USA, and see many many Jeeps. However, I almost never see snorkels. The area I live is quite similar, I think, to UK countryside; forest, mud, some rocks, etc.

So, what is the reason that so many builds I see on UK forums have a snorkel? Is there a lot of water that's deeper than the air intake? Do people also fully waterproof their engines to use a snorkel to its full potential?

Nosebolt

Re: Snorkels
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

na it's mostly lardy owning fashion victims

saying that we seen to be sinking into the sea so who knows

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

On a lifted, Jeep with after market air system that doesn't draw air from round headlight area the only use for a snorkel is for entering a river via a steep bank which might just get you submerged up to your screen,until you have all four wheels on river bed and prob is over by then.

So no not much use.

They like them in Australia where they run dusty areas.......but then you guys run Moab and KOH without snorkels everywhere :icon_twisted:

YT

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »

I prefer to have one and not need it than get a cylinder full of water. I've also an 'extreme conditions' top fitted that pre filters (Dyson stylee) before  it reaches the air box. It was also a third of the price of a replacement Safari top that got removed by a tree.
Overkill, but prevention is better than cure for my money.

georgen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

I have one but was on when I bought jeep, saying that I would fit one as I am a sucker for water, filled my headlights twice with water out of the twice its been out so far, 1st time was a massive hole full to water, never been their before but mates knew and sent me first, that time the bonnet was under the water and it hit windscreen, 2nd time crossing river where you went in was deep then settled down but mates discovery is slightly shorter than my jeep lol, and i wish i had the video rolling when he opened his doors half of the river was inside. to some might seam overkill but I too would rather be safe than sorry.
whilst on this subject though, the amount of times ive seen engines wrecked because of deep water and owners cant understand as they have snorkels, putting a snorkel onto a vehicle is one part of fitting, the other part is sealing the system so it doesn't pull water in elsewhere like bottom of air filter where a lot have drains   :hysterical:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »

It's a must, that much GLOOOOP here that without it your at risk of not driving home.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

georgen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »

It's a must, that much GLOOOOP here that without it your at risk of not driving home.

Try getting the ferry next time its drier  :hysterical:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »

you can get a lot of mud in the uk and as wildwood said the sharp inclines in and out of mud and puddles  and put your nose in under water / sludge

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »

Evolution put your nose and mouth a foot above your lungs...

why spoil a good design?

YT

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »

Evolution put your nose and mouth a foot above your lungs...

why spoil a good design?

:hysterical:
Fair comment. :D

Nosebolt

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

come on, 90% of the vehicles with snorkels probably don't get their axles wet let alone their air boxes, I agree for the few that do get into situations where they are needed then its a useful bit of kit, but most are fitted just cos they make some bland rover LOOK like it could go off road :peekaboo:

georgen

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »

come on, 90% of the vehicles with snorkels probably don't get their axles wet let alone their air boxes, I agree for the few that do get into situations where they are needed then its a useful bit of kit, but most are fitted just cos they make some bland rover LOOK like it could go off road :peekaboo:

To be fair more than 90% of 4x4's dont go off road full stop and some will have snorkels, i would love to know the % that have winches that are not even wired up, there is prob more things added for looks than purpose but for some, they are essential for others portrait a lifestyle however far from the truth that would be.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »

Back to the original question, I don't think there's any way we can claim to have more water or wetter places than the US but the off-roading is much more like what I've seen from the North East and North West states of America - combinations of woodland tracks, mud, water and river / pond / swamp crossings with only occasional rocks (normally covered with mud and slime).
I think a lot of people that do off-road fit snorkels for the insurance factor, even though they are unlikely to get headlight deep in water.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »

Some of us fit a snorkel in case we find a situation like this... Also remember a large proportion of 4x4s over here have diesel engines for which a very small amount of water can cause instant death.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »

Its reverse psychology .... the smaller the dick the bigger the snorkel  :003:

We have boats to sit on the water rather than in it. :hysterical:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »

just add a bigger lift and tyres, problem solved
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike2909

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »

Why do you guys call it a snorkel, I was told it's a periscope  :017: ?

GMad

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »

At the moment the air intake setup on my WJ is stock, but that will be changing sometime soon.
I'm not a fan of stuffing great big snorkels nailed to the side of the car, so I'm going to have a go at moving/altering/adapting my current system so that the intake is up by the windscreen. Probably under the plastic that covers the wiper motor and mechanism!
I'm not in the habit of driving through water that comes up to screen level, so I figure I'll be safe. Plus my WJ has a 4" lift.......

robsrotti

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »

I thought that deep water was a Lardy owner thing. They all seem to want to be the wettest and muddiest
Personally I wouldn't have a snorkel, I just don't like them. And I have no interest in pretending my Jeep is a boat
There main benefit that I think is the cold air they can take into the engine

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »

:iagree:

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »

keeps the dust out of engine
specially driving round Wiltshire chalk covered lanes

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »

i dont live in wiltshire

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »

the dirt track to your ranch then  :lol_hitting:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »

just route the intake away from the front grill, obvious not to where it can pick up hot air. routing into the scuttle can be done but there might be other components in the engine bay that might prove that to be a problem
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

GMad

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »

Other components in the engine bay is the biggest challenge! A wasp could barely insert his manhood into the gaps I have under my bonnet and I've already made it worse by shoehorning the winch solenoid and wired remote socket in there!
What I might do is attempt to slot an airbox from another car in there?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up