Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How easy to find ZJ/ZG parts in the UK?  (Read 1920 times)

AVR2

How easy to find ZJ/ZG parts in the UK?
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:52:02 AM »

I owned a 1993 ZJ for five years when I lived in Dubai and used it to learn how to do my own maintenance, and now I'm back in the UK I'm tempted to get another one, at least until I can find a decent WJ Overland V8.

How easy is it to find ZJ (I guess it's really ZG) parts in the UK? I obviously want to avoid the stealership as much as possible. In Dubai I bought loads of stuff from RockAuto, but there was no VAT or import duty to worry about.

Are there reasonably-priced UK-based independent suppliers for stuff like axleshafts, rebuilt calipers, steering boxes etc? And what's the situation when you need parts you'll only find at junkyards, like overhead trip computer modules, AC head units etc? Are there go-to suppliers for that sort of thing too, or do you just have to trawl eBay, hope you'll find a ZG in a local junkyard etc?

I've never tried owning an old Jeep in the UK, so all advice about parts availability would be gratefully received.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
Re: How easy to find ZJ/ZG parts in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:33:25 AM »

most parts are available, bearing in mind the youngest zg will be 17 yrs old
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »

:iagree:
getting the normal service items  is not a problem alot of places stock them or can get them.
and rock auto have a lot of European stock now.

AVR2

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »

Cool, thanks for that.

Are there any recommended online suppliers? I thought that despite offering prices in sterling, RockAuto's stock was all based in the USA and so you were stuck with international shipping, import duty and VAT, which would obviously be hefty on anything with any weight, like an axleshaft?

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »

The rockauto.co.uk site has gone it seems so you can't select to prepay VAT now. I ordered a few bits lately though and they were all shipped from Sweden so no VAT to pay. It really depends what you are ordering, as to where it comes from.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

daggie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »

axle shafts are easily available in this country
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd

AVR2

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »

What about things like steering boxes, brake master cylinders, brake boosters etc? I had to replace all of those in my 93 ZJ, and because it was a LHD model, they were in plentiful supply as remans... I'm assuming here, though, that the RHD steering box (for example) is harder to find because the market is so much smaller?

daggie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

your fretting yourself, steering boxes etc are readily available aswell as the rebuild kits
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd

AVR2

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »

your fretting yourself, steering boxes etc are readily available aswell as the rebuild kits

Hardly "fretting". I asked the question because I didn't know what the parts availability situation was (the ZG was never exactly uber-popular in the UK after all), and that's how we learn - we ask questions :)

Good to know I'll be able to get all the parts that are likely to be worn after 17+ years, so thanks for that. I was concerned that RHD-specific parts might be hard to find now for the ZG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up