Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mindy Project - Rancho springs - Need educating!  (Read 1482 times)

cuffm

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
Mindy Project - Rancho springs - Need educating!
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »

Hello,

With a lot of help from DieselJ20 I'm working on a new project, a Mindy based build. I don't have much left of the Mindy, its all gone to Bubba, and am pondering how best to fit Rancho 2.5 springs.

Question 1:
I've scrounged a set of heavy duty shackles to look at from a mate, however to fit I'd have to replace the rubber bushing in both the Rancho Spring and the Mindy Chassis bracket. Question, is this a good move or should i just buy a set of pucka Mindy Shackles? Heavy duty shackles use larger diameter greasable bolts.

Question 2:
The Mindy bolt that goes through spring is slightly larger (1mm diameter approx.) than the hole in the Rancho spring - see pic?  Do folks just drill the spring out (doesn't look it will leave much meat in the tube) or replace the bracket on the chassis and use smaller diameter bolt?

Heavy duty shackles:

Pucka Mindy shackles:

Mindy bolt through spring:

tah
Cuffy

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Mindy Project - Rancho springs - Need educating!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

Not the cheapest route.....

But I tend to buy shackles and çhassis mounts from Dan at RoughStuff then ordering the bushes and bolts from them,you get a cohesive package......
Would probably mean cutting çhassis mounts off the Mindy çhassis and,welding on but worth it.

Also you can then have Spring mounts at CJ YJ distances as opposed to flattie distances ....if indeed as Ii think flattie/ Mindy springs are shorter and narrower than Rancho springs...

Or have I totally misinterpreted your question and gone off at a tangent???? :icon_twisted:
In which case ignore me :hysterical:

Sounds an interesting project.....tell us more......

And did you sell that nice tube frame masterpiece?????

cuffm

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »

Hello Jez,

Sorry for the slow response, things went to pot just after posting, Dex my Dalmatian had to have an op to repair Cruciate Ligament, good news after 4 days convalescing he is on the mend. As to what I'm upto, briefly I'm rebuilding a Mindy making some minor mods, 2 1/2 lift using Rancho springs (very cheap on Ebay, £330 for 4 including delivery from US) to accommodate 33s, 4.3V6 (currently rebuilding) + 4L60E (both pulled from a 2000 Blazer).  Aiming for a small offroader (1 1/4 ton) that my Transit can tow.  Buggy is up for sale, things have changed a lot since I started down that road, just not what I want to do now. I've also answered my own questions, a new set of bolts from India has solved my spring issues so good to go.

Cuffy

kev

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • yes its mine
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:06 PM »

Hi You can use the early cj5 poly bush 1001 that's what use as you have give in the eye
Pages: [1]   Go Up