Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much rattle but no shake and roll  (Read 1443 times)

Suze162

Too much rattle but no shake and roll
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »

Can some of you guys/gals help please?  :icon_biggrin:
After a garage visit a few months ago they recommended an engine flush due to carbon deposits in the oil.
So....
they flushed the engine
replaced the oil.......with 5/30  :jpshakehead:
quite quickly a 'rattle' 'tapping' noise came on  :010:
I asked them to change the oil (under advice) to 10/40
still have the noise but it does seem to be getting worse  :010:

So......do I have it re-flushed elsewhere properly and hope something is blocked?
It could be the tappets which are hydraulic so do I have them replaced anyway?
It's a 2001 2.5 petrol engine and I'd be grateful for any 'sensible' advice on the best course of action   :098:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Too much rattle but no shake and roll
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

Mine's always had a bit of tappet noise but it's more worrying if your didn't before the flush. Semi-synthetic 10w40 is the oil to use, along with genuine Mopar filters if possible.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »

SLAPPER!!

Piston that is, could have picked something up, does it have heavy breathing symptoms’ also?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Suze162

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »

Thanks James.  If there was a noise there before it must have been really quiet as I'm know for picking up on every sound  :icon_biggrin:
Must have been within the first few days when it came on......just wondering if some of the crap in there could have moved and blocked something??

Suze162

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »

SLAPPER!!

Piston that is, could have picked something up, does it have heavy breathing symptoms’ also?

Actually.......yes he did  :098:
Said it sounded a bit 'breathy'  :017:

What do I do?

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »

SLAPPER!!

Actually.......yes he did  :098:
Said it sounded a bit 'breathy'  :017:

What do I do?

Easy........Get rid and find a "man size" to replace it !!

Suze162

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »

Easy........Get rid and find a "man size" to replace it !!

I see......you're not technical enough to give me a real answer  :003:

And why would I want a 'man size' when I am in fact not a 'man' :icon_biggrin:

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

Hmmmmm, let me see !!

OK, your cooker hob has decided to GO DOWN, yes only three are working - options are 1) Clean it and hope for the best 2) Ask A friend for advice 3) Run with the three and see how it goes with some astonish miracle cleaner 4) Totally disregard the advise sort by said friend because he's a Male Chauvinist Pig.

Suze162

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »

Why thank you  :icon_biggrin:
See.....the kitchen isn't my favourite place.....so if a ring went down on my hob...I'd phone Argos and get another....'cos I'm not that fussed on cookers. :003:
However I do like my Jeep.....it's not running properly and though I hate to say it....you seem to have come up with the answer to what is wrong :icon_biggrin:
So.....all I wanted to know is, 1. Is it a big job to fix 2. Is a parts are not too expensive but labour will be 3. For A friendly person to give me a few simple answers or advise  MCP or not  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
FYI.....never used Astonish Miracle Cleaner....

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »

Let me translate.
The IomanKy is suggesting you spend shedloads of cash changing your engine (4 ringed cooker hob) that may or may not be faulty with a new improved top of the range V8 model (8 rings including a Wok ring :icon_winkle:)
I being a tight fisted Yorkshire man and not a Island dwelling tax dodger would mend the hob if possible, but in this particular case i think you need a second opinion off someone you can trust and who knows what they are talking about.
Be warned though that unfortunately once you have translated his mad ramblings the IomanKY is annoyingly correct a lot of the time :icon_sad:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

j33pky

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

The only thing GONE DOWN here is Mr iom,s pants when he got excited he was talking to a lady!  Just ignore him suze!  He is not at ease when communicating with the fairer sex. He becomes uncomfortable and therefore Ill mannered and starts ranting and talking utter shite!  His keeper will be along soon to sedate him and tuck him into bed and read him a story.   He may also reply with the most expensive and ridiculous remedie to your problems. If he does just calm him by replying " now that a top idea" and post a smiley face.  a confused or sad face will only anger him!

j33pky

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »

As sparky has pointed out... The lummox is often right!  But for God sake don't tell him! :011:

Suze162

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Well......I do hate to say it but he may have been........well not wrong  :icon_biggrin:
Cookers aside.....obviously I am not going to attempt this myself but I want to be fully armed when I visit my garage, although Peak Jeep are not too far away :icon_biggrin:

So.....can I have the pistons replaced? If so roughly how long would it take a qualified person so I know if I was to get ripped off.....heaven forbid  :icon_twisted:

I know Mr IoM is trying his best  :icon_biggrin:
And he is as you say on an Island so we are relatively safe?
I'm thinking Peak Jeep for a second opinion, see what they suggest, then ask you guys if you agree.....if you don't mind that is  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
And please.....cut out the cooker shite  :icon_winkle:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »

You need to try and find out where the noise is coming from first and work from there.
It could be anything thats at fault really, the island dwelling planet of the apes lookalikey has plumped for one of the worst case scenarios, just hope its something else more simple..... and more to the point cheaper to fix :icon_eek:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:11:45 PM »

Noise and piston slap on the 4.0 isn't always the beginning of the end, they sometimes go on for ages but the noise doesn't get any better. 2.5 is the same engine close enough.

Best bet is to have someone who is familiar with these engines take a look and listen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up