Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non Jeep Exhaust tail pipe question  (Read 1067 times)

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
Non Jeep Exhaust tail pipe question
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »

Hi, I've posted this on a motorhome forum but they weren't able to help but as you guys fix "anything" you may be able to help.

The tail pip fell off my RV and I need to get it back on as the exhaust smoke is messing up the back of the motor-home.

I attach a picture of the stainless steel part that feel off. I'm trying to figure out what used to hold this on. There is a metal band going around the main exhaust that should connect the tail pipe but that band is 2mm wider all round that the tail pipe and I can;t tighten it anymore as the main exhaust is the same diameters as the tail pipe but the band is wider at the tail pipe end.

I though maybe exhaust cement was holding it on as I saw some white chalky stuff but i tried that and was not secure. Or would there have been some kind of material like heat resistant exhaust wrap used to put the tail pipe into the band.

Any help appreciated.

Ken

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: Non Jeep Exhaust tail pipe question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »

Ken, I've had this problem in the past and what follows may help you.

Firstly...I sourced a chrome extension which slid OVER the original tailpipe end...it was a snug fit, but with a bit of sanding, it went on.

Second...the band that exists on yours needs to slackened off and removed, or slid back along the tail pipe, ready to be used again.

Third...if you can find a chrome extension which fits the bill, you may have to make a couple of cuts with a hacksaw on the end which goes over the tail pipe...about 3/4" or maybe even an inch...these cuts run parallel to the straight part of the pipe. Once you have the new bit in the desired position, slide that band over those cuts and tighten...job done!

As I wrote earlier, I've come across this before...and my method worked, every time.

Just to clarify...those couple of cuts with the hacksaw can serve two purposes. It allows the chrome pipe to expand a tad as you push it into place and it also helps the adjusting band to do its job when you tighten it.

Without pics to make it easier to follow, I hope my explanation is enough...feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up