Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep WJ 2.7 CRD Auto 54 plate - Tyre / Transmission question  (Read 1385 times)

macabethiele

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Year: 2005

i have sidewall damage to one of my tyres and need to replace it.
The existing tyres all have around 4mm of tread on them so have a fair bit of life in them.
Will there be an issue if I just fit one new tyre or is it best to fit a pair to the same axle.
I don't want to cause any damage due to diff / transmission wind up issues if any ?

Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

carljh

• Guru
Re: Jeep WJ 2.7 CRD Auto 54 plate - Tyre / Transmission question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »

you need to try and keep the front and rear prop shafts turning at the same speed as the t/c gerotor/clutch/chain isn't designed to work continuously on paved roads and will wear out. simple answer is buy a part worn tyre or put it on the front and remove the front prop shaft till you need 4 new tyres.

thorna

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »

Try eBay for a part worn.
I ripped a tyre on a q7 days before it was being partexd.
Had a perfect matched part worn on it within 24hrs.
U.K. Tyre shops are importing part worns from mainland where insurance accident repairs usually require tyres to be replaced.

macabethiele

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »

Thanks for your advice I put two new tyres on the rear and when I looked more closely at the remaining two decided as they were around 2/3rds worn  I bit the bullet. I replaced the front two a couple of days later.
Just not worth the risk of drive train damage and I have a long journey in a couple of weeks time. Plus I have the best of the old ones as a legal spare.

My WJ has just turned 100k miles, I am hoping she does me for another 3 years without too much expense by then she will have racked up 145k and may be looking to change her for the later V6. Diesel 4x4's might be dirt cheap by then with all this anti-diesel talk by the Media.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500
Pages: [1]   Go Up