Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Steering Box Adjustment  (Read 2559 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
ZJ Steering Box Adjustment
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Have any of you lot done the adjustment on a steering box? I've read guides on how to do it, but don't know if I should try, or if it's even accessible on a RHD ZJ. :017:

I'm trying to sort out the "loose" feeling steering, which seems to have quite a bit of play.
Nearly all of the steering components are new, as is the track bar. It's also had the tracking done. It does drive in a straight line, but the steering wheel has a lot of play before you can feel any resistance (definitely worse than my XJ) so it requires constant correction when driving straight as the wheel is in the dead zone (pretty normal Jeep behaviour but worse than I'd like).

The steering box input shaft definitely has quite a bit of movement before the pitman arm does anything, so that's why I'm thinking down this route.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
Re: ZJ Steering Box Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

you've got nothing to loose, mark it with tipex 1st, it will only need adjusting a nano, or the steering will be to tight, have fun  :icon_winkle:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »

Cheers for that. :001:

I was going to adjust it today, but it looks like my new track bar has a good bit of play at the axle end. It doesn't look like the bolt itself is moving, rather that the hole in the bushing is too big allowing the track bar to move relative to the bolt. :banghead:

Is there a way to remove this play?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »

have the hole in the bushing fit the bolt????
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »

I did figure that, but would I be right in thinking that would require the holes in the bracket to be drilled out?

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »

If the sleeve in the center of the bushing is a loose fit on the bolt it doesn't matter. It's the clamping force from the bolt against the ends of the sleeve that stops it moving. How did the length of the sleeve compare to the width of the bracket? Were the surfaces that clamp free of oil and grease?

As for the steering box adjustment it's supposed to be done with the box off the vehicle. Input shaft thrust should be set before the pitman gear depth is adjusted using an inch-pound beam style torque wrench to measure over center torque. Get it too tight and the box could bind. If you want to make adjustments on the vehicle make very small adjustments, and be careful with the locknut on the opposite end to the pitman arm. I've seen both left and right hand threads used there. Turn it the wrong way and you'll strip the threads in the cover meaning a replacement cover (or box) is needed.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking at the steering box in the future but it looks like I need to sort the track bar first!

I've just had that end of the track bar off - the bolt/sleeve are actually a pretty good fit. It turns out that the holes on the axle mount have wallowed out as everyone on other forums seems to have reported. I'm aware that a bigger bolt could be fitted - I assume this would need the track bar sleeve to be embiggened accordingly?

Are there any other ways to get everything to fit properly?

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »

embiggened....

That's gotta be the best word I have heard today

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »

I've never seen M11 bolts, though they may exist, so the next metric bolt up would be M12. If you switch to Imperial though you could try a 7/16" bolt which is 11.1mm diameter. I could get you a 7/16" bolt 2 or 3" long but they'd be full thread and only Grade 5 (class 8.8 equivalent) rather than grade 8 (10.9 equiv), which would be better for steering fasteners.
Pages: [1]   Go Up