Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satans fuel - help required  (Read 2601 times)

Dtimot8

Satans fuel - help required
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »

Hi chaps
the Patrol had its first towing outing for the J33P event
all went very well with it towing well
just one issue when we came to hills i had a choice slow down or see the temp gauge rise like a rocket
The patrol has a turbo but no intercooler.  it has a brand new rad that cope with normal driving admirably
other than buy a chevy with with a TB4 is there anything i can do?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Satans fuel - help required
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »

Temp gauge shows a rise on the mighty Ram when gunning up a hill.....but only a mil or two....and then returns to normal..... Can only think there is a rad related ( Bulldog problem)
Or a transmission overheating prob if auto.... And has cooler in the water rad....as they do sometimes

Obarno

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »

Could be that the viscous coupling on the fan needs replacing which would explain why its ok on the flat but gets hot on hills.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »

You're in my country now Your Lordship...what model Patrol, what motor are you running?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »

my chevy tows like a monster and stays cool  but the rad is the size of a metro

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »

if the temp didn't rise while towing up a hill i'd be surprised. these "lug down" climbs are killers for engines, so fans working are a must.

Testing cooling efficiency we only ran until the temp topped 100 degC ten kill the test, long slow climbs on roads need the fans to be working to prevent this
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Dtimot8

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »

Temp gauge shows a rise on the mighty Ram when gunning up a hill.....but only a mil or two....and then returns to normal..... Can only think there is a rad related ( Bulldog problem)
Or a transmission overheating prob if auto.... And has cooler in the water rad....as they do sometimes

yes but no but
its a manual so no auto situation and you can thrash the hell out of it unload and it never gets above 1/3rd way up the gauge
Could be that the viscous coupling on the fan needs replacing which would explain why its ok on the flat but gets hot on hills.

this to my highly tech mind sound worth a punt and a few quid spent on fan

You're in my country now Your Lordship...what model Patrol, what motor are you running?

It is a Y60 lwb 2.8 td manual

if the temp didn't rise while towing up a hill i'd be surprised. these "lug down" climbs are killers for engines, so fans working are a must.

Testing cooling efficiency we only ran until the temp topped 100 degC ten kill the test, long slow climbs on roads need the fans to be working to prevent this

may be a stupid question but how much should it rise - if i keep my boot down it would get to danger territory
i chickened out when it started to smell very hot

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »

On a long enough hill with a loaded heavy trailor you could see it hit the red. It's a case of cutting out the torque which in turn generates the best. Drop a gear and let the engine rev which if not and electric will spin the cooling fan faster and dissipate heat quicker. Hit a hill fast to get momentums then lose the speed at the top. It's another reason tow package are an optional extra since they include uprated cooling as well as stiffer rear suspension and tow bar.

If electric fans, for piece of mind an overide switch may be worth considering
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »

That particular motor, in it's standard form is a wee bit prone to getting warm under load, but as Dave has said, it can be manageable.
The fan issue is fairly easy to address...make sure that they are working as they should...fit an overide switch if you are not sure. An intercooler would be helpful, but not really a 'must have'.

These motors, like most other diesels, are meant to run at, or near 90 degrees C....on most gauges, this will be about the halfway mark. It may be worth trying another gauge or sender unit, just to check.

My Patrol has the later 2.8 td, with the intercooler and it has never gone into 'hot' mode...my twin electric fans keep the needle just below the halfway mark, even on 40 plus days, fully loaded, at 75 plus mph.

francisolya

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »

Your in my territory also

francisolya

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »

Ah mother fawk,I typed an essay and lost it jeez!!!
In short these motors are well able to stay cool with a cooling system well capable,as said check your viscous clutch,if you've got rad recored was it done to factory spec or the usual course
Core?ie less tubes and less cooling,did you change the water pump recently?sourious pumps are crap and while may not be the problem here they flow way less and even stall at low rpm pointed uphill,is your passinger heater still connected?if not check that it has not been simply looped back as this will also reduce flow hugely,the cooling on these is well capable,they flow more air than a Y61 twin elec system and should cope with any load but if your hitting the red your going to damage the head gasket I guarantee it so get it sorted before you tow again

francisolya

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 08:19:29 PM »

Oh and get a proper stat,if your running 1/3 of gauge your stat is missing or faulty,only buy genuine parts for cooling system on these,slightly more expensive but  an engine job is a whole lot more expensive

Dtimot8

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »

Thank you ever so much chaps
the rad is brand new
water pump thermostat not so sure so will fit new (or at least The brilliant Martin, from up the road, will)
Both of the heaters front and back work brilliantly and were used on a couple of the hills to help cooling - her in doors wasn't too impressed as it was hot in the cab already
it does have the air con radiator(which doesn't work) in front of the water rad - so i think that'll come out as well
we have a plan
again my thanks

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »

Get rid of the aircon thingy, give the main radiator a good clean out with compressed air (carefully), fit a new thermostat and I will bet that a significant difference will be seen.

Nissan gauges are notoriously inaccurate, so maybe a decent aftermarket temp gauge might be in order for the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up