Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2005-2011 WK Starter problem  (Read 887 times)

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
2005-2011 WK Starter problem
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

Chaps, quick question for you. The starter has just started (!) to play up on the WK. Behaves very much like the solenoid is on the way out. Before I go and order a new starter, does anyone know where I could get just the solenoid...but has to be quick. Don't want to have to get stuff from the US or the like as I don't have the time. It's annoying really as they are such simple things to repair...if only you could get inside them.

Symptoms are: turn key, loud CLICK from solenoid, all electrical systems look as they should but starter doesn't turn. If I keep turning the key, eventually it seems to engage and it spins over fine. Once it's warmed up a wee bit, it behaves normally.

TFL

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
Re: 2005-2011 WK Starter problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »

Got a starter from ebay in the end - OEM, not cheap, but not outrageous I thought.

Bit of a mare to change for such a simple thing, the new started needed an extra hole drilling and tapping for the heatshield fixing bolt but otherwise was fine.

I'd always thought it had a rather sluggish turnover...spins over something frantic now!  Makes me suspect it could even have been brushes or commutator rather than solenoid, but either way, sorted now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up