Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ ABS Query  (Read 1392 times)

neilh

TJ ABS Query
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »

Bit more stripping down and prep work on the TJ today including trying to work around what I think are ABS related wires at the front. They come from what I think are speed sensors on the steering knuckle that sit just above some splines on the outer half shaft - am I on the right lines?

Anyway, it bugged me that they were getting rubbed on full lock and I was puzzled where they went to after feeding inside the chassis in the wheel arch. A bit of gentle tugging later and I'm none the wiser - cos it seems the rest of the wire complete with a plug on the end was just tucked inside the chassis on both sides and connected to bugger all  :banghead:

Now I don't recall an ABS light being on previously and the build sheet doesn't mention ABS so now I'm wondering whether it's actually fitted. Anyone know whether it was an option on a 2003?!

If it should be there - can anyone shed any light on where the wires should be going?!! If they do go somewhere I can see ABS issues in my future  :100:

Mike Pavelin

Re: TJ ABS Query
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »

One surefire way of checking....trace one of the front brake pipes and see if it goes directly to the master cylinder. If it does, it ain't an ABS car and it's probably had a secondhand axle off another car fitted at some time. 

neilh

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »

Well big more digging and there's no fuses or relays for the ABS either. The brake lines all go into a flat metal block and there's two lines from that up to a small metal cylinder directly beneath the plastic master cylinder...

Does that count as direct?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

neilh

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »

Looking at some parts diagrams it looks like the master cylinder feeds into a proportioning valve - which is the flat block we have.

Does anyone have some pictures of the ABS components under the hood? I'm starting to think we've got sensors and wires but no ABS for them to connect to  :017:

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »

Below the brake master cylinder there is a flat tray on the fender. If you have ABS that's where the ABS pump sits, and the brake lines will go from the proportioning valve below the master cylinder to the ABS pump then to the brake units at the axles. If you don't have ABS the pipes go direct from the proportioning valve to the brakes.

neilh

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »

Below the brake master cylinder there is a flat tray on the fender. If you have ABS that's where the ABS pump sits,

Perfect, thanks - so I don't have a flat tray but I do have a couple of struts with holes where a tray could be mounted. Having said that there's clearly no ABS pump either and the pipes do go straight from the proportioning valve to the brakes - so looks like definitely no ABS there now! No idea if there ever was but doesn't seem to be much point reinstalling the wheel speed sensors!

Thanks all :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up