Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zj \ d35 questions  (Read 1558 times)

candyman

zj \ d35 questions
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »

Hello everybody who bothers to read this, what is the correct oil quantity for my rear d35? Handbook says 1.2l, other sources and jeep manual says 1.6l and other sources say fill to level bung which is 2l approx. Which is it?

Second thing is, when in low box is it normal to have to hold the jeep on the brakes to stop it going forward/ backward? Just asking for hill descents etc in case there's something wrong with my 2. Got another zj orvis so going to try and make 1 from 2 and have a spares pile! 

Thanks Ross.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: zj \ d35 questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

fill oil to the bung use SEA140 not 90 as the diff is getting old now. don't forget the friction modifier.
yes if in low you may need to use the foot brake as it will crawl as it's meant to.
when going down hill in low stick it in first and turn off the overdrive
hope that helps
are you coming to cheep-fest

candyman

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

To late for the 140, already filled it with 90! And didn't forget the fm, got a big bottle of it.

Can't make it to cheap fest this year, not much money spare as trying to get this zj mot'd first to start using it and need tyres etc and the swmbo would have a fit as I've a lot of events happening over here that I have to attend and she's not amused at the moment! Its our first wedding aniversary in oct, and I'm for mudmaster and scottish hollrally in nov. Treading very carefully at the minute!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »

Second thing is, when in low box is it normal to have to hold the jeep on the brakes to stop it going forward/ backward?

thats if your brakes will hold it when in low
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

candyman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »

yes if in low you may need to use the foot brake as it will crawl as it's meant to.
when going down hill in low stick it in first and turn off the overdrive 

just checking as I'm used to landys when its first low and foot off clutch type thing! type of descents I'm talking about are looking at the ground through front window with all sky in back window and mirrors with coffee/tea spilling out of cup!

Second thing is, when in low box is it normal to have to hold the jeep on the brakes to stop it going forward/ backward?

that's if your brakes will hold it when in low
just not used to autos so wanted to check that nothing wrong with mine!

thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up