Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust downpipe  (Read 1751 times)

hasey

Exhaust downpipe
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »

Anyone by any chance have an exhaust downpipe for a 2.5TD? Can't seem to find them anywhere, mines completely broke clean off at the top or would I just as well get it welded back together? Also how the hell do you get to where it connects at the manifold, the repair list just keeps getting longer lol

Toptooler

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Wrangler JK
  • Year: 2009
Re: Exhaust downpipe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »

Think I saw one on eBay last night

Toptooler

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Wrangler JK
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »

Remembered where I saw it as well guy selling a load of mopar xj  bits on jeepowners.club

hasey

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »

Have managed to remove the downpipe from the rest of the exhaust system, broken off right at the top where it bolts to the manifold, how the hell do I get the top part off, can't seem to be able to get at it?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »

If you can see it you can change it....

maybe a daft statement but in reality it's correct.

expect to lose a few hours getting it off as the down pipe and manifold was most likely attached to the engine when the lump was installed.

looks like you will be turning a bolt one face at a time. Just make sure what you are using is a snug fit to the bolt head or cap head and hope it doesn't slip or you will be looking at a manifold removal.

or just go straight for removing the exhaust manifold, maybe more work but could be quicker
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

hasey

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »

Someone mentioned removing the turbo? say's it's attached there and would be easier? it's a 2000 2.5TD

hasey

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

It's exactly the same as this type, great if you've got the engine out lol it seems it bolts onto the turbo so guessing it's best/easiest to remove the turbo to do it?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

the capheads (3 off) will be tight, spray with penetrating oil. you can get to those but the one one the lower back is a real pain. they will most likely scream when you undo them (squeal sound due to being dry), but make sure you have the "alen key" fully home before trying to undo. I used a ratchet and long socket key when i did mine. you can get away with a small normal key socket but you might require some adaptors and uj's to make is slightly easier.

the oil lubrication pipe is easy to remove but dont lose the washers, one side is hose connection i think but remember to fit this back when reinstalling as the oil flow through is very high.

Allow a day to do this and plenty of breaks as your arms will ache and you will be lying across the engine to reach and through tiredness and frustration.

Turbo removal might be an easier option but take the air intake off up to the turbo for maximum clearance. the only way is for you to delve in and see what options you have. either option will be fiddly. the turbo connection might be slightly easier as it is 4 nuts? and one will be with limited room.

just jogging my memory back to repairing my mk1 4 times due to head failures
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up