Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xj transfer box in to zj  (Read 1313 times)

paulbaron

xj transfer box in to zj
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »

Hi I have searched the database and cant find an answer that suites me, has anyone put an xj transfer box into a zj and if so were there any problems or was it a straight forward swap ? all advice appreciated thanks.

candyman

Re: xj transfer box in to zj
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »

Yep, just put a 231 in my 98 zj last week. Plenty of info on the net, mostly in america. There's one really good write up on the jeepforum that's really long but explains all the differences. I only had to modify rear drive shaft for the conversion but if you get the correct 242 apparently you don't. I also swapped my input shaft, don't think I really needed to but I wasn't going to take a chance. Finished it on sat and was out on sunday ripping various body panels off. Thanks to jamesh for sending me everything over.  :steeringwheel:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »

Glad you got it done, I was hoping it would work out ok for you with the box of bits I sent.

There are 242 swap write-ups on US websites - probably NAGCA, JeepForum and others.

candyman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »

Glad you got it done, I was hoping it would work out ok for you with the box of bits I sent.

There are 242 swap write-ups on US websites - probably NAGCA, JeepForum and others.

Probably should have got the rear shaft sent as well, cut up the display to suit mine as xj wouldent fit, also had use various bits of the linkage as mine where seized and I was too lazy to clean up. Worked a treat and well pleased.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've still got the rear shaft if you need it but I think it will be too short to bolt right in.

candyman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »

Its ok, had mine shortened and its grand. Op, I found a write up on here done a long time ago but I can't find it again.

paulbaron

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

Thanks for the pointers, have read the long version on an american site seems reasonably straightforward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up