Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring eye bushes  (Read 1348 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Spring eye bushes
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

Been discussed many times before but want honest truth, my leaf suspension bushings are toast, rubber or urethane?

I brought genuine rubber style ones but they seem to be loose in the spring eye, the originals were tight? are there different sizes or is this common. Both have/had the metal sleeve around the exterior of the bush. The old ones were a pig to pull out (sockets and threaded bar) but the new ones just slid in without effort and will fall out if turned over.

I was thinking of changing to urethane as I might have better luck regarding sizes and life?

Any help appreciated

eastryjeep

Re: Spring eye bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:30:55 PM »

Have always replaced bushes in my CJ7 with rubber after being given a ride in a full urethane rig, dont know whether it was the spring or body mounts, but it was a very harsh ride and creaked and groaned when off road.
Non-shackle end of spring should have single bush with inner and outer steel sleeves and should be tight in the spring eye. If memory serves, a tight interference fit at that sort of size is going to have the bush between 0.05mm & 0.08mm larger than the bore of the spring eye, but as this is an open ended piece of spring steel you may find your old bush is even bigger and my figures utter rubbish. These bushes are nothing more than anti vibration mounts, they are commercially availiable and you could easily have been sold the wrong size, take a sample to your supplier and have him match it would be the easiest route.
Shackle end of spring has 4 mushroom shaped half bushes which are not as tight but still a fight to fit and you only fully compress them when the jeep is back weight on wheels, about an extra 1/4 inch measured across the shackle.
Assuming you have standard springs, Lightys should see you right regardless.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »

The bushes are all the same on the pre-CJ7 jeeps, regardless of whether they are in the spring or in the chassis eyes, makes ordering some new ones far easier.
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:02:12 PM »

That's what I thought but the ones I got are no loose, that my issue, I brought good quality Omix Aida rubber bushing but the bloody things are loose in the springs and I don't know how to resolve this without trying another type. They aren't the cheapest things either so I don't want to buy another set and have the same issue.

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

They aren't big money from Lightys and you will notice the difference, but they should all be a pressed in fit they wont function as intended if loose.
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »

I have bit the bullet and brought some urethane bushings off 4wd.com as I could not find any difference in size with the rubber type. Question is only 2 out of the 3 bushes has a metal sleeve? I was told this is normal by the sales guy. Question is which of the bush locations use the metal sleeve.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »

the sleeve is a support when bolted, since its poly i would have expected all to have the tube?

couldn't you enquire from the seller where its supposed to go, or dont they know
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »

All the ones I have bought had a metal sleeve
Some had rifle drilled bolts with a Zerk others had the steel hanger drilled for a Zerk

As Dave said Tis the support means, and will get chewed without the steel bush in the cetre.

Mine were Rubicon Express and latterly from Dan at Ruff Stuff Specialties

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

I thought the same I'll wait till they arrive to ensure it is missing. The guy at 4wd was a jeep geek and said all the necessary parts were included.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »

the tube acts as a support and if a spring eye bush is fitted then the bush will compress and wear out quicker, plus ride and movement will be a nightmare.

even jeep geeks get it wrong
Alfa 147 jtdm

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

This is the kit I brought, I was advised I needed 2 kits to do the whole jeep (front/back)

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Jeep-Lift-Kits-Suspension/Leaf-Spring-Bushing.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=20&t_pt=7904&t_pn=D%2fI1-1001

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »

it maybe a case of using the original bushes, thats if they are not bonded to the rubber. seems a bit odd you only get two supplied
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up