Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ7 water leak  (Read 754 times)

mark

CJ7 water leak
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »

Following the 1 1/2 hr drive back from Nthampton on dual carriage way and A roads I noticed that the motor had  pushed water out through the radiator overflow I am unsure if this could be a rad cap fault not releasing pressure or releasing pressure too early , does anyone know which pressure cap is correct for the AMC 360 ?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Re: CJ7 water leak
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »

Do you have an expansion bottle? It's normal for the pressure to open the cap, this is then collected in the bottle and as the motor cools the water from the bottle is sucked back in to the rad. I believe 16lb is normal, I have a Stant one on mine.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

:iagree: expansion bottle should be there.....I am sure it is otherwise you would have noticed this before. Yes check the lb needed on the rad cap but again if it was wrong would have leaked or overheated before.
Reckon seal on cap is faulty and new rad cap needed.

mark

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »

The car came with no expansion bottle the cap is on the rad.  I fitted a pipe from the rad overflow to take vented water down toward the floor and not vent all over the radiator. , I assumed as the cap was on the rad no expansion trank was fitted . The cap looks new but will double check pressure of the rad cap. ,, Thanks guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up