Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum brake rebuild  (Read 4699 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Drum brake rebuild
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:01:38 PM »

The XJ is really testing me now.
After a (hopefully) successful and problem-free front brake piston and seal replacement, we moved to the rear drums to bleed them. One look at them and Mr. Mechanic told me that there was no way he was letting me drive the thing. One line was leaking a small amount, and upon closer inspection both brakes need the following:
  • Shoes
  • Cylinders
  • Springs
  • Brake Lines
  • Brake line fittings
  • Drums (possibly)
I really need assistance on this, as I'm not very familiar with drum brakes at all. If those bits all need replacing, are there any other bits that go with them that will need doing too, or am I safe to buy just those parts?
The drums were crumbling around the edges, but the part that makes contact with the shoes is fine. Can I get away with leaving them, or will I have to replace them?

I'm also a bit worried about the brake lines - I think I need the whole line, front to back. What does this consist of, and where can I buy it? Failing that, where can I get the fittings so that the mechanic can bend the lines himself?

Finally, what is the cheapest way/place to get all of this stuff? I have practically no money at the moment, so am really struggling!

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
Re: Drum brake rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

I'm with you in terms of "it's the next job to be done", and have never worked on drums before. If you need all that lot doing, would it not be easier to upgrade to rear discs? I read somewhere it is relatively easy, and offers a good increase in braking efficiencies. Is this something you would consider?
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

Arno

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

Jeepey mart is not to bad on price...

Drums is a pain, I can never manage to get mine to work properly. Read various tales on the rear disc conversion, some say is good, while others says it made no difference what so ever.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »

if all that is truly bolloxed  get the spring in a hardware kit comes with all fiddly bits you need brake pipe fittings get them right get them first time    lightys  shoes and cylinders may be cheaper in a few places

note i usually re use the pipe fitting when making new pipes up 

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »

brake pipes are simple to do, the flares can be a pain but if saveable reuse the end fitting or reorder new from Lighthouse are they are cheap and not off the shelf in the uk. If using copper tube then cover the length in shrink tubing for additional protection.

Flaking at the edges on the drums doesn't mean it requires scrapping. they do have a specified wear limit. the brake fittings most likely might need new spring caps, springs and retaining pins.

since you have a taxi handbrake it might have been an indication that they needed looking at.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »

Make up the lines, get fittings from Lighthouse along with hardware kit of springs and stuff for drums or reuse old fittings like Bubba said. Drums might be ok if there's no pitting or scraping on the shoe surface.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »

Awesome, thanks guys. The handbrake does have to be pulled right to the sky and it still won't hold on a hill, but I didn't know how they worked so never questioned it!

With regards to disc conversion - am I right in thinking that I'd have to sacrifice ABS for that, and wouldn't that be an MOT fail. If not, how much moolar would we be talking?

The brake fittings on there don't look like they're at all reusable as they're horribly rusted.
I'm still struggling a bit with the lines - do the hard lines run into a flexi-hose at each wheel? I assume that needs replacing too - is it a case of asking Lighty's for that?

I'm guessing I'll just call them up and ask for all necessary stuff as they'll know what they're on about, and source shoes and cylinders wherever is cheapest.  8-)
Does it matter if I go for cheap cylinders?

The drums are bad. The flaking at the edges completely crumbled away when hit with a hammer. I think the braking surface is fine though, so I guess I'll keep them on there until next pay check!

j33pky

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »

You do seem to be having a fair bit of bother at the moment.

j33pky

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »

Drums is a pain, I can never manage to get mine to work properly. Read various tales on the rear disc conversion, some say is good, while others says it made no difference what so ever.

Shouldn't you be recommending our own Carlos for parts? Not a rival/fellow forum! :jpshakehead:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »

Rear brake lines are hard lines from the drum to a T piece that is then flexi up to the body. Just replace the hard lines. Don't worry about rear disc conversions, just fix the drums. The handbrake can be adjusted quite easily using a flat blade screwdriver through the access hole in the back plate. This will become more obvious when you see the new hardware with the star wheel adjuster.

j33pky

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »

Ain't the hand brake adjusted on the cable?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »

Blues Tis an easy job.....like meccano.
All the new springs are nice bright colours too so you can match them to the rusty originals and make as drawing of how they go together......also do one side at a time then you always have a 'go to' of how it should look. :icon_super:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »

Cheers for the help guys - so it should just be the hard line from drum to T-piece that I'll be replacing? That's good as I was fearing having to run new lines all the way forward!

Shouldn't you be recommending our own Carlos for parts?
Hmmm, so does Carlos stock the parts required for this??

Finally, is there any harm in buying the cheapest brake cylinders I can find?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »

Ain't the hand brake adjusted on the cable?

It can be but I have found it much more effective to pull the hand brake on 1 or 2 clicks and then spin the star wheel until the shoes bite against the drums, then release the hand brake. It's the self-adjusters not working that makes the handbrake so shit and it has the effect of making the rear brakes rubbish generally. When adjusted properly the stock brakes do a pretty good job at stopping the Jeep.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »

Cheers for the help guys - so it should just be the hard line from drum to T-piece that I'll be replacing? That's good as I was fearing having to run new lines all the way forward!

Shouldn't you be recommending our own Carlos for parts?
Hmmm, so does Carlos stock the parts required for this??

Is Carlos up and trading on the website now?

Finally, is there any harm in buying the cheapest brake cylinders I can find?

I'd probably go with the cheapest ones, they might need replacing sooner but you might have a better budget at that point.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 09:15:08 PM »

Shouldn't you be recommending our own Carlos for parts? Not a rival/fellow forum! :jpshakehead:

:hysterical: man you a funny dood costs are costs and we owe it to ourselves to find the best parts and service wherever we can carlos lama and jeepy are not children they know the competition and it matters not what club or county they come from

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:04 AM »

adjust at the wheel using the manual adjuster and then adjust at the handbrake cable to give a range of 3 - 4 clicks before the handbrake is fully on.

XJ handbrakes are renowned for the poor work ability and generally only work fully once per year
Alfa 147 jtdm

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »

I bought these 2 months ago as I though they were a good price. I had a mechanic do them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300881317851?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I havn't gotten jeep back yet but i think the old ones sound better than yours. I'm down your way in 2 weeks if you want them.

j33pky

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »

:hysterical: man you a funny dood costs are costs and we owe it to ourselves to find the best parts and service wherever we can carlos lama and jeepy are not children they know the competition and it matters not what club or county they come from

Just trying to keep you on your toes pal

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »

I bought these 2 months ago as I though they were a good price. I had a mechanic do them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300881317851?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I havn't gotten jeep back yet but i think the old ones sound better than yours. I'm down your way in 2 weeks if you want them.

PM sent, YJ drums are the same as an XJ, right?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »

Do you want an unbiased look see of your rear brakes?

Downside is that i am working this weekend but could pop over in the evening next week if your back at home
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »

Cheers for the offer Dave! I really appreciate it, but the XJ is at the garage, not at home, so I can't really get to it in the week.
I'm fairly confident that I've not had a biased opinion on it though, as the mechanic doesn't charge me anything for using the workshop, his help, or even any parts (brake lines, fluids etc) that I use!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 11:52:12 AM »

I've got the following now ready for this:
  • Cylinders
  • Brake shoes
  • Spring sets
  • Self adjusters
  • Hard line fittings
  • Flexi-line and T-piece (just in case)
I should be doing this next weekend, but I'm still not sure how hard/time-consuming a job this is though. Including time to make new lines (I expect it won't be me doing this part though) how long should it all take?
Are there any tips or anything I should look out for whilst doing this?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »

I'd set a day aside just in case but really it's half a days work for me and I'm slow and drink too much tea.

eastryjeep

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »

After wheel and drum removal, just take lots of photos before carrying on so you can see how it all goes back together.
If you are really concerned, set up a camera to film the entire process so that if something unforseen happens, you can rewind and see where the springs shot off to!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up