Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tango. The resurrection.  (Read 15030 times)

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: Tango. The resurrection.
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »

nice

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »

youve missed a bit!!!!

Plenty left to do. Will be glad to put the welding gear away sometime in the distant future  :icon_biggrin:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »

Lots of work involved there and the pictures never quite show the hours, sweat and burns.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »

i always find that i start by spot welding, which is perfectly adequate then it leads to seam welding. Joggler pliers was my best purchase for sheet metal work
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »

Underneath shot. Difficult to photograph because of all the shiny metal, but you can see all the support members on the bottom of the floorpan have been replaced as well. Got one more rotten mount on the rear corner of the tub left to fix and the body is officially sound again :greggmo:

BARKING MARK

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »

Some great work you've done there...it's great to see another one being saved. Trouble is seeing this I regret selling my old CJ7....what's even worse is that I see it everyday as the guy who bought it lives just round the corner...!

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »

good work
will be cool when done

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »

Been a long time updating, but have been beavering away at all the shitty jobs underneath and losing the will to live on a regular basis. Finally got hold of another crossmember.....

Finished the repairs and cleaned up the underside....

Tidied the 258.......

And sorted the floor inside.

Now to start on the outside.....

UKJeeper

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

:icon_super:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »

That looks like new!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

LairdScooby

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »

That's a great job you're doing there!  :icon_biggrin:

dtooth

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »

Pretty

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »

12 hours hard graft today........

LairdScooby

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 11:27:43 PM »

That has definitely been Tango'd! Nice work from the look of it - hope there's no "orange peel" effect in the paint?  :icon_winkle: :icon_biggrin:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:01 AM »

Excellent work, however you do know that

3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

Bishops Finger

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »

Do you Yorkshire folk have nothing better to do on frozen nights? The whippets should be chaining at their leashes and the Aunt Bessies cooking in t oven

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »

It's a good feeling when you can pull the masking take off after a job well done. Remember that with mine.

Nice one Mike  :023:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 08:19:23 AM »

looking good and loving the plain steel wheels i keep looking but never find any

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:56 PM »

There's a '56 CJ5 on Ebay with a set included. £1500 no bids last time I saw it.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »

More progress. Lighting all operational up front and looking as the good Lord intended. no gaypods on this baby.....

Fitting up parts as I find them, the pile is now getting smaller. Fitted new original style mirrors with the weird looking asymmetric arms. They are reversed for RHD so had to use the arms from the originals as all the replacements are for LHD. If you use a LHD arm on the nearside you can see bugger all in it. The correct style mirror is viewed through the windscreen, and is surprisingly effective.

Junked the 1980s trailer lights scattered all over the back and tidied it up with new YJ tail lights and a Yamaha R6 number plate lamp. It's '81 registered, so had to tuck a rear fog lamp under the bumper.

Scored an 'as new' used Bestop and doors on the 'bay a while ago. Finally got to find out if it was all there. Wheels are looking a bit teeny now. 7Jx15 with 30 year old tyres in a wierd American size that works out to 235/75R15. Must resist the urge to go bigger. Will powder coat original rims in whire. Considering stock size tyres , possibly Bridgestone Duellers with white lettering, or does Birty think I should stick to black sidewalls?

Engine bay is all back together, could take more detailing, but I'm not that anal, looks nice enough for now. Finding a battery that fits nicely is a challenge. The RHD tray is basically the LHD one turned end on, with the supports chopped off and re welded to the long sides. This limits what you can get in there and secure using the stock clamp. After a bit of measuring and some trial and error, I found that an 078 fits, and should be man enough for the job.

Cabin is nice and clean. No nasty mod cons here, although it has had an aftermarket Smiths heater fitted from new, which looks disturbingly like a L*nd Ro**r one.

Jobs left to do? Tidy up the wheel carrier (need 2 wheel studs if anyone has a couple) Powder coat wheels and get new tyres, Fit bonnet hardware when it eventually arrives from Jeepey Mart, Ditto new fuel gauge, sort out wayward steering or get self cleaning pants, do the mother of all rustproofing jobs underneath and get an MoT, which shouldn't be too much of an issue :003: Going to fit an early YJ roll bar mainly for the convenience of having decent modern seat belts as well.

LairdScooby

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »

More good work!  :icon_biggrin:

Is the heater something similar to this?

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/all-in-one-compact-car-heater-with-vents-and-valve

I'm sure Smiths made a generic heater many moons ago that Land Rover used a version of as a standard fit as did many other manufacturers before heaters became standard issue in cars. Who knows, it may have been a dealer option when yours was first sold and as such could be considered original.
I doubt the supplying dealer is still in existence now and even if they are, the chances of 35 year old records being kept or the employee that fitted the heater being there are pretty remote so i'd just enjoy warm hoofs and think of it as original as it was there from new.  :icon_biggrin:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »

Original brochure shot.... Does Birty consider a matching hard hat and sideburns essential to complete the look? (Yes I know that's a CJ5)

[/"Hey, pencil neck, get that f**kin' L*nd R**er outa my yard!b]

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »

More good work!  :icon_biggrin:

Is the heater something similar to this?

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/all-in-one-compact-car-heater-with-vents-and-valve

I'm sure Smiths made a generic heater many moons ago that Land Rover used a version of as a standard fit as did many other manufacturers before heaters became standard issue in cars. Who knows, it may have been a dealer option when yours was first sold and as such could be considered original.
I doubt the supplying dealer is still in existence now and even if they are, the chances of 35 year old records being kept or the employee that fitted the heater being there are pretty remote so i'd just enjoy warm hoofs and think of it as original as it was there from new.  :icon_biggrin:

It's a water heated one, definitely a Smiths aftermarket item. It would have been fitted from new. Essential over here, especially to demist the screen. I've never seen a 7 without a factory fitted heater. Mine has no intake grille on the windscreen cowl.

Supplying dealer was possibly Hyde Car Centre in Cheshire. I still have the old windscreen sticker. They were definitely a Jeep dealer in the 1990s when Chrysler Jeep UK took over, but can't say if they sold new Jeeps in the AMC/Renault days of the '80s. They're gone now, does anyone remember them?

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »

My 6 has a Smiths heater in that was original, it works fine so long as you are stood still if on the move all the drafts from everywhere just neutralise it!.
Some 33s would make it look loads better by the way  :icon_winkle:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

UKJeeper

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »

Going to fit an early YJ roll bar mainly for the convenience of having decent modern seat belts as well.

It's ready when you are...

£50 sound fair?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up