Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: help me please. my jeep is ill. :)  (Read 12806 times)

firefighter1023

help me please. my jeep is ill. :)
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:41 AM »

nks for accepting me.  ;) 
I have a 2002 jeep cherokee 2.5crd manual.
I have a big problem. It will start but die as soon has I hit the revs.  There is a strange high pitch sounds coming from engine bay.. sounds like air getting sucked in.  I can't find the problem.  I have replaced the following still nothing.

Hpfp
Fuel rail and sensor
4x injectors
Cam sensor and crack sensor
Fuel filter and head
Timing belt and pullies

Any advice would be much appricated. . Thanks in advance :) 

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
Re: help me please. my jeep is ill. :)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »

Turbo? Intercooler hoses?

firefighter1023

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »

Thank for reply ...  much appricated.  I have also replace tank quick release hoses with 8mm hose and jubilee clips.  Now when starting it's blowing return hoses of fuel rail.  Could this be causing too much pressure in system has never had this problem before.  Will check turbo ect today.  Thanks. 

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »

Blowing the return hoses off could be indicative of a blockage, or at least restricted flow IMHO.
Try removing the fuel tank filler cap and running the engine with it off...I recall having a problem with mine, ages ago and it turned out to be a faulty pressure release valve in the fuel tank. Could also be a restriction/blockage/kink in the fuel return hose between engine and the tank.

May be worth a look.

firefighter1023

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »

Thanks big baz.  Will try that this morning.  I am losing the will to carry on with my beloved jeep.  Lol. One problem sorted another one starts.  What is the best odb reader to read jeep has all garages say they can't read it.  Lol. Strange.  Thanks. 

firefighter1023

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »

Also what's your thoughts on replacing the quick release hoses from tank. As I have done that and seems to be buildin more pressure? Good or bad thing??? :(

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »

These little buggers can be a headache at times...I was very lucky with mine as the very few problems I had ended up being stupidly simple to fix.

Don't give up on her.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »

Also what's your thoughts on replacing the quick release hoses from tank. As I have done that and seems to be buildin more pressure? Good or bad thing??? :(

As I said above, it may be a blockage in that return hose....remove the fuel cap and blow air down the return line with a nozzle and you should hear it bubbling in the tank. If you have the bayonet type connection at the tank end, make sure of the connection...had a problem with this on a previous Peugot of mine.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »

I will be off line for a couple of hours, so don't think I've given up on this problem.

Between us, I'm sure we can get a good result, so ask all the questions you like and I'll do my best to help.

Bazz

firefighter1023

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »

I really appricate all your help.  Such a gentleman.  Thank you.  I am off to have a look at her now and will keep ylu updated.  Thank you

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »

Back on line again.

Let me know how you got on.

firefighter1023

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

Hi them checks was ok.  Wat I have noticed is that at back of fuel pressure rail is a small pipe. Possible return and it keeps blowing off the other End.  Spilling fuel all over

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

OK, leave that with me for a while and I'll go and investigate.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2.5_2.8_export_diesel/2.5CRD.pdf

Have a look at this lot and see if it makes any sense. It would appear that the small pipe should attach to a junction block which may be blocked.

See how you go...

firefighter1023

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Hi baz.  Thanks for that.  That's the problem solved with blowing off pipe.  The only issue is now is that it starts for a second then stops.  Also when I hit the gazs it cuts it out too.  When it finally gets started.  I love this car honest.  Possible air in system now.  :(  thanks. :) 

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »

Glad that helped a bit. Without going back and looking in that manual, I think there's a troubleshoot section, either at the beginning or the end of the fuel section...worth a look.

Keep me posted on developments...I'll be on here until late tonight.

The fuel pressure sensor could be a candidate....fingers crossed for ya.

firefighter1023

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »

Replaced the old quick release pipes from fuel tank. Thats now putting air in the fuel filter head.  Problem was when I put the jubilee clips and fuel pipe in there place was building too much pressure and blowing pipes off.  To be fair I did replace them with 8mm pipes.  Think the inlet was recieving fuel delivered to much fuel.  So possible air getting in the inlet quick release pipe from tank.  Thoughts please. !!  :)

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »

why do you need quick release connectors on the tank? do you remove it regularly

what is the bore of the original pipe, i assume 8mm and the connectors have an 8mm internal bore

as for stopping when throttle is pressed, have you removed the inlet to the turbo and tried ?

If there is a sensor after the air filter (mass air sensor) disconnect that and see what happens.

Any fault codes being displayed?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »

Just to jump in here ...No idea why there are quick release connectors on the tank end, but they were designed and built that way. A lot of folk don't realise that KJs have two fuel pumps...one in the tank and the other incorporated in the injector pump. The pump in the tank has an inbuilt filter which needs checking/cleaning from time to time. For reference, refer to the stuff I posted earlier.

The reference that Dave69 made to the internal diameter of the new pipes may be a factor, but if the return system is working properly, any over supply of fuel should be dealt with in the normal way. My thinking, at the moment, is that the line back to the tank is kinked or blocked, thus not allowing the unwanted/excess fuel to flow back to the tank. These motors are quite touchy...air in the system will ALWAYS cause a problem, pressures above or below the norm CAN cause abnormal performance, how much will depend on the variance in these pressures.

firefighter1023

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »

Hi dave.  Thank for help.
The tank I think comes standed with the quick release hoses.  I came across them while cleaning the tank as the diesel had got slightly jellied. 

I don't have a mass air sensor on my jeep.

I haven't tried removing the turbo inlet hose but will give it a try tomorrow :)   

The bore of the quick release on the inlet is 7mm I think and the return is 8mm.  Only just worked that out today. 

I have been at this now for a staggering 18 months and to be honest could have bought another jeep with the money it cost.  But I rufussed to give in lol.  Just seems one problen after another. 

I have notice loads of air in the fuel head and when I prime it loses pressure within seconds and loads of air again.

The only thing that hasn't been replace is the glow plugs. ?? 

Also the smoke it white when not giving gas and black when hitting the revs when starting.  Thanks for reading guys.  :) 

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »

Refer to what I posted just before your last.

firefighter1023

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »

I do have a p1130 code bazs.  I believe that does refer to fuel pressure.  That seems to confirm your theory.  Possible blockage or leak on the return pipe. 

Just a thought could the fuel be leaking back from the fuel head after cranking stops... is that even possible mate. ????? 

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »

Sorry for the lack of answer last night...late night visitor = fuzzy head!

P1130 indicates fuel rail pressure problem for sure. Possible causes can be leaks anywhere in the system, faulty pressure sensor, faulty injector seal or return lines or something iffy around that fuel filter head...it shouldn't allow fuel to leak back, but it is possible.

Looks like you're going to have a busy Saturday.

firefighter1023

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »

Hope the heads not too sore Lol. 
Yes a busy Saturday on the jeep. Time to start on all the fuel pipes and find this air source.   Thinking of fitting a one way valve on the inlet line close to fuel head to prevent back leaking on there. 
Also going to replace the quick release hose on fuel tank with a 7mm pipe and jubilee clips. 
Fully retrace the return pipe and look for any problems there. 
Checking turbo hoses ...  The fuel filter head is new, but will check for air getting in there. 

Will keep you updated mate.  Cheers :) 

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »

pull the return pipe off and connect another but into a jerry can etc, cover it so that the return pressure doesn't spray the fuel every where.

If there is a blockage in the pipes this should confirm the theory
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up