Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96 XJ 4.0 Auto - 2wd/4wd selection - When & How  (Read 872 times)

snoopyjon

96 XJ 4.0 Auto - 2wd/4wd selection - When & How
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »

Hi Everyone,

From what I have read on other posts, the preference is for 4wd Full Time when driving round, and 4wd Part Time when you really need to lock the diffs.

On my XJ 4wd F/T makes the steering very heavy when going into lock, so I prefer to keep in 2wd unless I'm off road.

However, my main question is around when and how you change the selection.  On my previous 4x4 (Toyota Hilux Surf) you had an electronic button that you pressed to go from 2wd to 4wd, which you could do whilst moving.  4wd was only for slippery stuff though, and never to be used on tarmac.

The guy I bought the Jeep from said that to go from 2wd to 4wd, I should stop, put the normal gear selector into Neutral, then change to 4wd, then carry on.

I held my breath whilst out the other day as I'd gone into a bit of a deep puddle, and realised half way through I was spinning up and slowing down, so I reduced the revs, and just grabbed the lever and put it into 4wd and away it surged again.  Am I risking blowing the transfer box by changing the selection whilst moving?

Also, can I do the same to go into 4wd Low, or does that really need me to be in neutral?

Sorry if this has all been asked before, I did have a look around, but didn't find any responses to my exact question...

Thanks everyone,

Jon.

Mike Pavelin

Re: 96 XJ 4.0 Auto - 2wd/4wd selection - When & How
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

You are supposed to shift it in gear and moving.

Green Jeep

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »

You need to be in neutral when selecting 4wd or it will just stay in 2wd in my experince, (I'm guessing you have an auto?) with practise you can do this quickly, you do not need to stop, run 4wd full time when on tarmac, towing etc, run part time when the surface is lose, that way the centre diff will not wind up and snap something, sometimes the lights on the dash don't always line up with what the box is doing, if not used much they can stick in diff lock, find a lose surface and blip the loud pedal, often sorts it out, the more you use it the better it gets, hope this helps, happy days Maf

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »

2wd to 4wd just pull the lever straight back while moving forward in a straight line, obviousl not while you doing 70mph on the motorway but it's reputed to be able to change at speeds upto 50mph.

If the the drive doesn't change then drop to neutral and back to drive should cure it or even a litlle blip of the trottle in neutral sometimes helps.
the low ranges (moving past the dog leg) requires you to be stationary and in neutral for the ranges to be selected.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

prophet

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »

I swap from 2 to 4 or vice versa at any speed up to about 30ish. Pull or push the leaver and then knock the auto shifter into neutral and blip the throttle a bit. You'll hear a little click/clunk and you'll know that the shift is done. I knackered my last transfer box when I got it stuck in part time 4 wheel drive. You'll know if this has happened on tarmac because the steering will become notcy and you'll get a lot of transmission noises.

For low range (also part time) you have to be standing still with the gear shifter in the N position. Pull the leaver to the side and then back. The part time option can only be used on loose surfaces, never on tarmac (not even wet tarmac). Be aware that the part time warning light, works off the position of the leaver and not what is actually selected in the transfer box. Sometimes the clunk from 2 to 4 wheel drive can take a while to engage. Best to do all of this stuff in a straight line, as it's corners that kill the box in part time mode..

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up