Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: James' boring XJ build thread  (Read 33849 times)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
James' boring XJ build thread
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:39:36 PM »

I've been threatening it for a while and it seems people want build threads so here's the start of mine.

The disclaimer is that for those who have seen my XJ before - it is not getting any bigger, no fancy coilovers or anything are being fitted and actually this thread could also just be called 'overdue maintenance'. The aim really is to fix some niggly problems and a few age and abuse related issues and end up with a simplified version of an XJ for offroading. It's still going to be road legal and able to drive to events if trailering isn't possible for some reason but I do plan to trailer mostly from now on just so I can do what I like offroad without journey home niggles on my mind.

Pics are better than words, this is what I've been doing today:

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]

LPG system and underbody tanks removed, started the cleanup of 7yrs offroading and assembled a new stock petrol tank to re-fit.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: James' boring XJ build thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »

nice one James
got to do a similar thing to the ZJ 

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »

:popcorn:

I'm looking forward to this.  S'all looking reasonably sound under there James.  :greggmo:
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »

After a bit more cleaning with a scrubbing brush (messy) it looks ok, nothing more than a few patches of surface rust where the lpg tank has rubbed a bit and along edges of sheet metal joints. I'm planning a good check then put a layer of underseal or similar thick paint on it all.

Roberts588

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »

James what shocks are you running on that xj?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »

Bilstein 5150. The extra reservoir is just bling really but they are good shocks.

On closer inspection of the rear floor and rails I have found a few crumpled bits and a small <10mm crack/split. I was planning to reinforce the whole of the 'frame' part of the body anyway but now I'm completely focused on doing it. The years of banging down onto rock ledges and winching the rear round at funny angles has taken it's toll. Luckily there's very little rust under there.

dtooth

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »

good luck with the overhaul

if you ever wondered what a naked rear end looks like

I reinforced my rear  oh er

so i could do this

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

I like naked pictures! Seeing the shock mount crossmember 'open' is good and shows me what I was poking my fingers into to try and clean at the weekend. Seeing that I might drill another access hole or two for cleaning.

Mine looks like it's been moving where the end of the towbar mounts are. So the rigid bit of the towbard has done it's job but applied all the pressures to where it finishes and joins the much thinner body. I'm not going overkill - I've got some 3.5mm steel and I'm hoping to add structure and support as much as possible.

What size box section did you fit into the end of the rails for your bumper mounts?

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »

looks like you got plenty of burns coming your way james. watch the chicken dont have ya she looks like trouble. its better weather for tinkering at least.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »

hey lard leave the chicken alone it looks like an expert to me

james nice thread dood i must recap on mine more often

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dtooth

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:09 PM »

box section in the chassis is  3mm thick x 100x45mm according to my records  :greggmo:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »

box section in the chassis is  3mm thick x 100x45mm according to my records  :greggmo:

Cool. I was thinking the 3.5 and 4 mm stuff I have would do but all you ever see on Pirate is 1/4" box, plate, angle or somtimes even thicker.

My work area is like a farmyard at times but it keeps me entertained, I'll get them out the way for the welding :117:

Cleaning it up and then welding at funny angles is going to be fun - I can do pretty welds on a bench but they quickly turn to crap when sat under the Jeep but practice, practice, practice I suppose.

dtooth

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »

Same here i hate upside down welding ..

Pirate4x4 always seem to be over the top with there 1/4" plate etc but then there are running 42" tyres up a cliff

I took my lead from the towbars and winch most use 4mm thick tube and 6mm plate .

The angle iron you see in the picture is about 8mm and was channel but its what i use the bolt the winch plate too  the biggest pain is the fuel filler going throught the chassis

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »

Any tips on cleaning and treating the inside of the chassis / frame rails?

I think jet wash in all the holes on sides, top and bottom (the inside of the Jeep is stripped out) should clean it ok. I'm not sure about whether to treat the inside of all these voids or leave them as is and just try to clean them out a lot.

I seriously dislike waxoyl and other non-setting rust prevention coatings / treatments because in my experience they just trap mud and other crap on them and are really hard to clean - I'm thinking more along the lines of paint that dries hard and shiny and can be cleaned easily.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »

for in the rails get hold of a drain cleaning attachment for the pressure washer - you can then feed it in a hole and along the full length and be sure that everything is cleaned out
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

dtooth

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »

what he said  :iagree: then what about por15 or a 2k paint

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »

I know it's the noddy version for plebs but I've got hold of a big tin of smooth black hammerite that is a no cost option so maybe that's the best most likely route.

I've seen a 7.5m Karcher drain cleaning attachement that looks evil so I think that will definitely work, thanks for the tip.

dtooth

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

hammerrite works it just needs to be clean and dry to stick properly and if you have some then its a no brainer

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »

Often thought about all of the crap in the TJ chassis rails.

Can it do any harm to get something like the karcher drain cleaning doodad in there or is it best to leave alone ?
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »

I don't see how it can do any harm, unless the mud is holding the metal together. It might blast any paint off in there I suppose? Having it packed with mud has got to be pretty bad though.

I've alsways got on ok with hammerite on outside surfaces and because it's simple to apply it can be touched up ok too. I think a 2 part paint system would be harder and adhere better to the surfaces but I did get this fairly big tin of Hammerite for free and free is good at the moment. If it turns out to be a mistake I'll let you all know.

demonicwillow

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

Personally I would wash out what you can with the jetwash attachment then leave it at that, the chassis and floors on my xj have been through the wringer, I know the floors disintegrated after my Bala sinking it and leaving the wet carpets in for a year incident, but when some of the rusty floor was removed I could see quite well into the chassis in places and was as good as new so I think trying to get paint in there may just trap any dampness which would then maybe cause you grief, just a thought James.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »

As promised, some more stuff in this thread.

A few parts are going into the build even though it's not getting bigger or changing dramatically.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »

Most of the additions are a bit more 'farmyard' engineering, no laser cutting here   :icon_rolleyes:

Some of the rear inner frame rail stiffeners / reinforcements

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »

dont diss farmers and farmyards dood

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

I actually thought that - they are more capable of quality work than most. Maybe 'office worker' fabrication suits me a bit better :100:

Making it up as I go along but have been lucky so far with this approach.  Drilling all the holes is a mind numbing task  :die:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up