Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ flares  (Read 1649 times)

cuffm

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
XJ flares
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »

Hello,

We test drove XJ around the farm yesterday, 3" trailmaster lift, 33x10.50s, standard XJ front axle+WJ knuckles steering conversion, D44 from a TJ.  Very impressed with XJs abilities, and I mean impressed.  As expected lots of tyre rubbing.  We're planning on doing some major cutting, however before starting wondering what to do about flares - whether to buy some or go with custom solution.  Looking on Ebay there are plenty of places in Poland offering what to be direct knock offs of US designs at a 1/4 of the price.  Although I suspect they will be to wide for me, interested to know if anybody used them.  Also considering TJ flares but again maybe to wide.  Can somebody tell me width of a standard TJ flare please? Offer any other suggestions?

tah
Cuffy

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: XJ flares
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »

In the US stock TJ flares were 3" on some models with 4" flares on Sahara and optional for others. In the UK I think we just got 4" flares on all models.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »

Will it definitely need them? TJ flares on mine cover 35x12.50 on offset wheels.

I'll see if I can find some links I have saved somewhere to different options. I think there is a mod that involves lifting the stock flares and others that are fitting flares from different Jeeps. The stock ones can also be trimmed.

Toptooler

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Wrangler JK
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

I have a set of these fender flares for sale same as in picture tyres fitted 33x 12.50 x 15 fitted to xj
XJ for sale also 3.5 lift
Fender flares £100 +pp

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:32:27 AM »

I have the polish fibre glass copies - and have had for over 4 years.

they are OK - but you will need to work to fit them - and I have filled with expanding foam to  strengthen then
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

cuffm

• Guru
  • Vehicle: XJ
  • Year: 1998
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »

Thanks James, had a good look at the links and did a bit of measuring.  Stock flares to narrow, others to wide so decided to go with a custom solution.  Will probably work out the easiest solution in the end as quite a bit of body is going to get removed.

Tah
Cuffy
Pages: [1]   Go Up