Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone in the UK built a junkyard fuel injection?  (Read 3334 times)

ferretjuggler

Re: Anyone in the UK built a junkyard fuel injection?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »

Had a pub landlord near me who passed the following comment about his low life thieving and swindling clientele.

" People shouldn't become addicted to drugs they can't afford"

Probably the same could be said about an obsession with American Old Iron  :die:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

I believe the thought process is its better to drive 100 miles in something you love than 300 miles in a tragic piece of mildly fuel efficient garbage
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »

My desire to master the Black Art of fuel injection is driven by more than a need for better mpg.
Someone once described the carburettor as " an ingenious device for supplying the wrong fuel air mixture at all engine loads and speeds"
Even though I'm a technophobe at heart,  I don't like carbs one little bit.
An injected engine is always going to run better than something that has to suck up its fuel from a lump of Mazak.
Better starting.
Better warm up
More power.
And better milage too unless you drive like a total psychopath.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »

The stuff I was googling last week sold me on the plug and play eeezeee fuel injection.or whatever the yanks choose to call it.

Taking a junkyard 454 known to make a factory 245, the cleaned it up using all standard parts and just,put,a flat tappet cam in........ Standard heads cleaned up the lot....... Total spend $2k they then did some dyno runs..... With quadrajet had to change jets......lots but got 416 BHP....
With the plug and play injection......they managed to iron out all the glitches that a carb couldn't....

It got 409bhp.....but mpg was 13/14 as opposed to 9.......
Just costs a bit though :icon_twisted:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

Just shows that you CAN have your cake and eat it.
I'd be ecstatic to get 14 mpg from a 454.
One good thing about old Jeeps is that at least they run good on unleaded.
And our wonderful government will never put the price up sky high because of all the voters running little hatchbacks.

eastryjeep

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »

Meanwhile, back in the real world and on the original thread, the answer to your first question is 'Yes'. But I only did it to a 4.2L.
I now have a 4.2 with Megasquirt 2 plus aditional code to give wasted spark and semi-seqental injection (ie the injectors give 1 shot of fuel on the valve when it's closed and a second when it's open). I'm using a 4.0 inlet manifold and standard XJ injectors, how I got here is a long story but suffice it to say that you MUST ensure all the donor parts for a scrapyard conversion are in running condition before you even consider using them, if they arent you wont know where to start any diagnosis.
And dont forget to factor in a wide band lambda sensor and dyno tuning!

ferretjuggler

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »

That's interesting.
Cheers.
Have you gained much performance wise compared with just slinging a power tech 4.0 in?

When I say performance I'm not just talking about maximum power.
I appreciate that there is much more to it than that.

eastryjeep

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 05:34:18 PM »

Unfortunately not!
I did get the pleasure of confusing a whole bunch of muppets who wanted to see under the bonnet and then couldn't figure out how the spark got from the distributor to the spark plugs though!
My plug leads run along the top of the tappet cover and then disappear through the firewall to the coil I nicked out of a Ford Cougar.
My main reason for going this route was because my nipper chose it as part of his motorsport degree and because the 4.2 only had a few hundred miles on it since it's last major rebuild.
Now starts and runs better and best of all it doesn't keep overfuelling and stall on steep assents or descents. That really used to crank me up, it was as if the ungrateful lump wanted to either kill me or itself.
But truth be told, it would have been easier and simpler to swap in a 4.0.
But this way, if I stumble across a poorly 4.0 long block I can stroke it in my own sweet time and then drop that in without any hassle as I already have all the rest of the kit mounted up, well that's what I tell myself anyway!

Delk is really the man you want to talk to, he has a stroked 4.0 with efi and has far more experience than I do.

Bulldog67

• Guru
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

j33pky

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »

You setting yours up like that ade

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »

It's only 10k - i may just buy 3 of them :003:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »

Life expectancy at full power?

Not long I'll bet.

j33pky

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »

A carb full of fuel

ferretjuggler

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »

To be fair.
They managed to make it run reliably long enough to do a full dyno test.

I was more impressed by a junkyard 454 pushing out 400+ BHP TBH.

Real usable everyday Redneck power.  :098:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up