Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi all, thought I would say hello and have a couple of jeep questions  (Read 6362 times)

fett

Hi, I am probably being stupid but I couldnt see an introduce yourself thread one of your guys from LZ (ukjeeper) just put me on to you :)

Ive just put money down on a 2000 grand cherokee 4.7 v8 and I have a few questions before I hand over the rest of the cash!

On the test drive I worried about the vcu  in the center diff a little ,the car seemed ok on tight turns (full lock tests for cv clicks) in the car park when I drove in in high range but as soon as I put it in low and tried it became very juddery-  did it lock the front and rear diffs? just because I put it in low? then when I put it back in high range it remained juddery on tight turns (full lock) although after a while it may have got better when back on the road (hard to tell , only one test drive to go from).

Its on lpg and has done 147k , I dont expect the world as its only a £1200 motor but I just dont want to have to get a new vcu straight away (or at all).

The engine management light is on and the guys says its lpg (omvl mulitpoint system) related , he cleared the fualt code but it reccured with missfire cylinder1, it is a but lumpy at idle and creeping but its doent seem to be missing when revved- I am thinking coil pack or plug- would it be likely more serious? cant even hear a missfire just a bit lumpy, on petrol or gas. I will invest in the obd reader when I have the car.

Steering was fairly heavy, and did clunk- I am thinking steering stabiliser but is it likely to be anything worse?

Final thought was it was hot when I tested it but as far as I could see the expansion tank just had clear water in it (couldnt open the rad cap as too hot) is this the sign of them hiding hgf or the like or just cheap lazy people? I will check int he rad before the rest of the cash goes down.

I will probably have to pay for this tomorrow or the next day so speedy replies much appreciated while I am on my jeep learning curve.

Many thanks

UKJeeper

Welcome!  :icon_super:

fett

Thanks mate :)

lets hope some guys on here can help  :icon_eek:

:p

UKJeeper

Safe to say they'll be a lot more helpful than where i found you asking originally...  :hysterical:

fett

ha yeah, blasphamy lol, ive been there a long time-love the banter :D

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69

Hi there and welcome
Before you pay for this jeep please can I point out that the engine light is an mot fail these days regardless of if its to do with the lpg system and needs to be fixed
Secondly if the engine does not have upper cylinder lubrication system I really would not go ahed with purchase the 4.7 does not like lpg and can be very spensive to fix

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again

Hi welcome
I would run a way from this jeep
I sounds like it's just about to drop a valve seat or head gasket gone. if the coolant looks clear then it could have been losing coolant. the anti freeze boils of first i think
The transfer case is meant to lock in low but the clicking you hear in hi could be the CV joints about to go.
The steering should not be heavy has it got an after market a heavy duty stabilizer ?
 hope that helps

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14

:iagree: We have had a number of these V8s on the forum and they all have had a few probs.....as said yours looks like its about to show its colours in major stylee"

Run away and look for a 4.0 litre they last an age (400,000) according to our USA friends they like LPG and if you get an Unmodified one you have no clunking and stuff. The steering will be easy and transmission and transfer case woes will not occur.

fett

Thanks guys, but I like v8s :) Hard to get a six for me but I dont want trouble

Thanks for the advice ok so you think the need flashlube or the likes? yeah it didnt have that- would the 4 liter need flashlube?

There was no clicking on full lock, thats just what I was listening for on full lock when It started juddering, should it do that in hi range too? How do the front and rear diffs know to lock?

I do want a petrol and lpg model I went for 2000 model as its the first year before road tax hike that had a v8.

Oh dear I dont know what to do now lol, its only just round the corner too

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12

Offer him half the cash and keep £600 in your pocket to sort it out.......simpels  :003:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

fett

Ha ha, well it was 1k or £1200 with an mot which hes doing as it only had 2 months left on it.

it sure is hard to find a good one!

I wish I knew what was going on inside that engine, the and if guys could tell me if the gearbox /transfer box is ok and how it works?

Ive had/got landies and troopers but it seems to be differnt on these is it mechanical lsd's front and rear?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14

I have been running a4.0 litre on LPG ......no flash lube for 8 years........motorway and offroad abuse.......currently in my trailer queen drive it like you stole it and no probs with engine or LPG.

It is possible to put the simpler and stronger 231 wrangler transfer case in but you don't want to have to eff around with a new to you truck....... Unless as said you're getting it for loose change.

ferretjuggler

$64, 000 question is-
Can you actually prise your deposit back out of the sellers fingers without having to resort to desperate measures  :017:

The Power Tech V8 has a rep for being intolerant of LPG.
Not saying you can't successfully run on LPG but it needs to be done with care.

The straight six engine has gained the nickname "Anvil" in the US

UKJeeper

Another vote for the 4L on BBQ gas from me. Had an XJ Cherokee for several years without a single problem with the engine, or LPG. I'd probably still have it if it hadn't been nailed by a Czech 18 wheeler.

fett

Thanks everyone, he has ust told me its had a new balljoint for the mot, which would explain the clonk I guess.

My question about the transfer case etc is does it sound like its working properly?

it does have a nice mulitpoint lpg system on it, its just whether it its cooked the engine although its been on lpg since 2008 according to the paperwork, the tanks valid untill 2017.

If I look in the rad and its nice red or green coolant in there is the motor ok lpgwise or still not proof enough?

I have the deposite, as he has not cashed the cheque and they take 7 days to clear :D

UKJeeper

it sure is hard to find a good one!

Not that hard, there's (at least) two V8 LPG Grand Cherks on the bay right now for the same money, and some nice choices on Autotrader for not much more. But i do agree with the guys about considering a 4L if you're going to run BBQ fuel.

fett

Thanks are they resonably local (hampshire) and 2000 models? I couldnt see more that were in better shape, this one is tidy bar the bonnet lol

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy

Thanks guys, but I like v8s :) ......

:icon_super: good man

one small thing to add - if its like my DD I just turn the LPG off for a few days prior to an MOT and the management light disappears (its also a misfire on cyl 1) - no probs on the MOT
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR

Re the juddering in low range, are you supposed to use low range / tight turns on a hard surface ?

Not sure about your set up but thought that was only on loose surfaces ?
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

fett

and when I got back in to high range and less lock it still did it?

Mike Pavelin

Hi there and welcome
Before you pay for this jeep please can I point out that the engine light is an mot fail these days regardless of if its to do with the lpg system and needs to be fixed
Secondly if the engine does not have upper cylinder lubrication system I really would not go ahed with purchase the 4.7 does not like lpg and can be very spensive to fix

Engine light isn't an MoT item, but if it has a misfire, I'd run away.  4.7s have a nasty habit of dropping valve seats out on LPG.

fett

I am leaning that way now after all you guys have said, is there any way to start a poll on here? :D

I really want a v8 on lpg though  :die:

UKJeeper

FYI, Dr Mike (Pavelin) used to be a Jeep stealership Mechanic (a good one!) and knows his shiat. If he (as well as many others) say "run", then you'd be well advised to do that.

fett

Im hearing you on FM!

ferretjuggler

Buy a ZJ with a Chrysler Magnum V8.

A real V8 with the camshaft where it should be.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up