Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Right, this is serious!!  (Read 46985 times)

ferretjuggler

Re: Right, this is serious!!
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »

After 30-35 years who can say what is original with any degree of certainty.

Remember that every time you see a CJ7 or CJ5 with a 360 fitted (or even a 401) then some poor FSJ has been weighed in to donate that engine.

Someone has probably liberated the cruise control from such a vehicle.

ferretjuggler

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »

According to the 81 to 86 manual you should probably have a seperate cooler as well as the radiator one.

Cheers Dave
IIRC I can't remember any of my J series rads NOT having the internal cooler.
So that is probably right.

So basically what Ade could do with is to find someone breaking a 81-91 FSJ :017:

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »

Hang on  - is this not solved with the transmission cooler I have just wedged out for?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »

Ordered me one of those infra red thermometers and it arrived today.
Interesting.
The ambient temperature in my bedroom is 24ºC
My skin is 29,  and Dwezil is about 27.
I thought I'd be warmer than that  :017:
Maybe I'm part Lizard?

We use similar devices at work, except ours cost over £200 each  :icon_eek:   The quoted accuracy is ±1ºC.

From my test just now, skin temperature will vary from 27ºC exposed areas on the hand to 32ºC covered parts of the legs and arms.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »

up bum is best :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:13 AM »

The voice of experience  :017:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »

You have no idea what u can inflict on undergraduates in the name of science  :lol_hitting:

UKJeeper

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »

Freddie is running an external cooler (if that's any help to picture it):

The OEM rad does have the lower transmission cooler, but nothings plumbed into it.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

hmmm now I had a spare front end with a cooler like that, but Im fooked if I can remember what I did with it
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

georgen

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »

Personally I would say if your cooling system was working correctly, unless you were raging it about by the scruff of the neck on a really hot days like we might have two a year, it should be able to cope. first thing I would do is start again, rad off and flushed out both ways, change thermostat , waterpump and remove all pipes to check were each pipe attaches too has not  semi blocked up causing reduced flow, take pipes off heater matrix at bulkhead and flush this out both ways, if your water system flows through you inlet manifold check this for blockages too, once you are happy everything is clear, put together and fill with water only, make sure you have no airlocks, some engines are a swine for air locks. you can then fill system with water only and run up to temp and make sure you heaters are on hot, you dont need heater fan running, measure everything with your temp sensor, once thermostat opens after a few minutes you should have a rad equally hot from top to bottom by touch and no cold spots or pipes, flex pipes and move them up and down if you suspect air lock. Once your happy with temp and stable, you can drain and refill with water/coolant, after all no point keep chucking coolant on the floor everytime you remove a hose.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Personally I would say if your cooling system was working correctly, unless you were raging it about by the scruff of the neck on a really hot days like we might have two a year, it should be able to cope. first thing I would do is start again, rad off and flushed out both ways, change thermostat , waterpump and remove all pipes to check were each pipe attaches too has not  semi blocked up causing reduced flow, take pipes off heater matrix at bulkhead and flush this out both ways, if your water system flows through you inlet manifold check this for blockages too, once you are happy everything is clear, put together and fill with water only, make sure you have no airlocks, some engines are a swine for air locks. you can then fill system with water only and run up to temp and make sure you heaters are on hot, you dont need heater fan running, measure everything with your temp sensor, once thermostat opens after a few minutes you should have a rad equally hot from top to bottom by touch and no cold spots or pipes, flex pipes and move them up and down if you suspect air lock. Once your happy with temp and stable, you can drain and refill with water/coolant, after all no point keep chucking coolant on the floor everytime you remove a hose.

BD has just gone to have a lye down after reading that  :hysterical:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »

I may  have to resort to a landy garage down this way :icon_eek:

georgen

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

Give it a crack, start at beginning and go through it, apart from waterpump and thermostat the rest is labour, yours is free the garage aint, if there is any restriction in any one bit it will give you the trouble your having, is there no members in your area that could lend a hand, have a laugh a sarnie and a cold one?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »

I think just the weight of the modified truck and the 401 is going to get to the capacity of a 30 yr old cooling system design - it shouldn't be as often as you've had but I think a separate trans cooler, the big fans you've got AND a good condition cooling system should hold up to the modded truck.

It's an XJ site but Go-Jeep has a section on his website that shows how bonnet vents work differently in different location and at different speeds. that might be something to consider if the current plan doesn't completely finish the job.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

Cheers gents. The cooler is beyond me but I have a weeks holiday spare so can book that off for the rest :003:

I'm think there must be summink in the trans cooler see in as it hasn't got one and it would appear it should have

ferretjuggler

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

My head hurts  :banghead:
I need to go get some sleep and I don't have time to scrutinise all these posts again.
Has the possibility of a slowly leaking head gasket or porous casting been completely eliminated?

Yeah usually when a gasket blows it massively over pressures the system and dumps most of the coolant.

But what if it were a slow leak.
Like a slow puncture on a tyre.
What if it only leaks when the engine is at running temperature.
Just a thought.
When you've eliminated the obvious you gotta consider the unlikely  :017:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

bonnet vents

front = motorway (low pressure at front of bonnet pulls out the air from behind the rad pack)

rear = slow speed (air gets pushed out from the engine bay by the cooling fan)
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »

Very good that Dave...
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »

Mine are above the exhaust headers

ferretjuggler

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »

Never had any cooking issues with mine.
Bog stock apart from the carb inlet and possibly cam.
Thrashed it well.
Same transmission and overall gearing ( tyres calculated)

So what's the big difference  :017:
Ride Height. .
Mine was bog stock on 31s

Bulldog is running 7" lift plus 2" on the tyres.
Difficult to say what that's doing to the air flow under the vehicle.
Digital camera on video take and paper streamers  :017:
A bit Micky Mouse but just might work.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »

4" on the tyres but kno wot u mean.

BJS let me down on the flow looser 180 thermostat, only have 195, but have found a 160 degree flowkooler one on summit racing

ferretjuggler

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »

No it's 2" on the tyres.
You gotta work on the radius not the diameter.

Not uncommon to find the stat completely missing on old Landies - Billy Bodgers first response to overheating.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2014, 07:21:11 AM »

3" then :003:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »

It looks as if size is important after all  :098:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »

Anything on the IFSJA forum about lifted trucks suffering cooling problems at highway speeds :017:

I'm kinda thinking that if turbulence from the front axle caused a build up of air pressure under the hood,  the resulting air flow through the rad might be close to zero :017: :017:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up