Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh bugger. Knackered D35  (Read 2052 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Oh bugger. Knackered D35
« on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »

I've got the ZJ in for some fluid changes and other bits and bobs that I didn't fancy doing at the moment. I've just had the report that the rear D35 planetary gear (I think this is correct, my differential knowledge isn't great) is in pieces. :banghead:

This sounds like it's going to be fun.

Would you lot recommend getting the worn parts replaced, or is it at all likely to find a good used diff?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Oh bugger. Knackered D35
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »

Good used one . At this time of year.
And keep the rogered one for a spring rebuild project when you have the spare funds.

Sorry to hear...bad news.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »

To make matters worse, it sounds like it's my fault! Rear LSD clutch packs have been making noise for the last 30,000 miles and I'd totally ignored it. The guy looking at it reckons that's what's caused the rest to fail. New carrier required and the gears inside it.
I've got to go ahead with it too, as we're back to needing two cars very soon. Gulp!  :icon_eek:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »

Deffo get a cheap replacement,then lots of goodies in the old one when you do the rebuild

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 08:03:46 PM »

A carrier and planetary gears from a non-LSD Dana 35 like in face lift XJs would seem like the best way to go. No LSD clutch plates to go in the future and you may be able to get parts cheapish. I think there might still be a fairly big labour bill if they have to mess around setting the diff up again if the new carrier changes the r&p gear setup.

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »

Have a word with James at Peak Jeep. He's got all sorts of stuff laying around.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »

Cheers for the advice guys.

Hillbilly, it's James at Peak Jeep that's doing the work! I hadn't realised how local he was so I've had him do a couple of things now. His prices and standard of work are both excellent.

After speaking to him for a while I've decided to bite the bullet and get it done properly, with the LSD and everything.
We want to keep this Jeep and have quite a bit invested in it after having all the rust cut out and replaced professionally, so we're going to treat it right and will hopefully one day end up with a Jeep that isn't constantly having problems!
Now it's just time to swallow the expense  :icon_eek:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

end up with a Jeep that isn't constantly having problems!

One can only dream  :hysterical:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

One can only dream  :hysterical:

Probably very true. Oh well, having the Jeeps is still well worth it for me. It's not helping with my Grand Waggy savings though!  :icon_winkle:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »

I've gotta say; I'm very impressed with James at Peak Jeep.
He discovered that the differential was knackered on Wednesday morning and told me it'd be a couple of days just to get the parts in... he's now just called me to say it's ready to collect! He's also sorted my coolant bleeding problems whilst he was at it.

Now that I'm over the initial shock of the price of axle work, I'm excited to pick up a (hopefully quieter) ZJ! :003:
Pages: [1]   Go Up