Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: power steering gearbox  (Read 1217 times)

Delk

power steering gearbox
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »

It looks as if my steering gearbox has given up. When it has been cold I have not had power steering. After a few minutes its come to life. This morning I changed the pump with a spare. The oil was black and sparkly so that's not good. After changing the pump nothing is better.

The Jeep is a left hand drive TJ and to top it off I have an AGR steering box for a bit more power.

Does anyone have options or ideas for overhaul or am I stuck with going to another standard box if I can find one?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: power steering gearbox
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »

Can't find the link at mo but it was via googling

Drilling TJ steering box for hydro assist....

There is a 20 min vid on how to rebuild and if you want do the drill and tap .....you can always cap them I guess until you want to go hydro assist.

Crown do a repair kit with the sector shaft inc ......so a quick search revealed...

Maybe the AGR box is the same as the factory one just larger ports??

Delk

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »

I think the AGR box has one size larger piston so I am not sure what kit I would need. The piston maybe the same size as a Chevy if my memory is correct.

If I did it myself I would definitely drill and tap if for hydro assist even if I just plugged them for now.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »

A common swap in the US for LHD is the larger box off the Dodge Durango with (snow plow option). Might be worth a look at rockauto for cost of that option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up