Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top tip for CJ owners  (Read 1491 times)

Mike Pavelin

Top tip for CJ owners
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »

If you have a CJ that wanders all over the place and tries to kill you to death at anything over 40mph, check the ball joints. Not for free play or lift, but for tightness. Take the front wheels off, disconnect the track rod ends and see how easily you can swivel the hub. If you have to haul them round with both hands, there's your problem. You need a bit of resistance to prevent shmmy, but if there's too much, the steering can't self centre and you end up wandering all over the place. Have fixed mine and another one in the last couple of weeks by replacing the joints which had gone tight, and both Jeeps were transformed. Use Genuine Spicer joints if you can, I used Crown joints on one, and they're still tighter than they should be with the correct preload dialled in, although they did the job.

BIGDRY

Re: Top tip for CJ owners
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »

Nice one Mike, think i might have the same issue...where can we get the spicer joints here in the uk? thx

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »

I got mine from FTE, but I don't think he usually stocks them. He can get them if you're willing to wait, though. Get a tool to adjust the preload sleeve as well, unless you want to make one out of am old socket.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »

There's a choice on Rockauto too, Dana (Spicer) but also some decent brands like Moog.

Good tip Mike, makes sense but I bet I'd just check things weren't loose and move on to another component.
Pages: [1]   Go Up