Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel TJ....  (Read 8261 times)

DIESELYJ

Re: Diesel TJ....
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »

Very nice  like it, how would you get on with putting it down on the log book has a diesel dvla say its petrol

Send off the v5 with fuel & cc change & you may need an inspection but I haven't needed anything yet.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 07:12:23 AM »

I have done half a doz engine changes on v5s and as long as they are accompanied by a letter from a garage they so far have sailed through (touch wood)
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

accompanied by a letter from a garage
What was the letter about?

sent from me blower using Tapatalk 4

xr6jeeper

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »

For the manual you need the engine & gearbox from a Toyota 4Runner 3.0 td this is the same box as the ax15 found in most 4.0 wranglers.
You need to strip down both gearboxes swap the input shaft & bellhousing & that's about it.
The uk 4Runners also use a mechanical injector pump but the surfs are all fly by wire pumps which is where the auto gets a lot more complicated.
Hi adam, nice conversion :greggmo: whats the difference in shafts is one thicker, or longer, or is the pilot bearing a different size, soz for all the questions but i need to know :003:
Geoff.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »

accompanied by a letter from a garage
What was the letter about?

sent from me blower using Tapatalk 4

It says that in their opinion the 'new' engine had been in there for a considerable period prior to my purchasing the vehicle
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

DIESELYJ

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »

As you will be using the toyota clutch & flywheel & bellhousing the jeep input shaft it is totally different in splines & length.
If you take your time & strip the toyota box first it's not that hard to do.
If anyone does attempt the conversion I will be glad to offer any advice.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »

A 3.0TD in a Cherokee with a manual box and simple electronics sounds like a very good idea and could be quite good on fuel too I suspect. I'm guessing fit should be ok because they squeeze the 6 cylinder 4.0 in there but things are tight under the hood of an XJ.

Are the Toyota manual box bellhousings rare? I know a guy who had a manual Surf and had a struggle to get a starter cos most are autos but I know nothing about Toyota's and their mechanical bits.

DIESELYJ

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

A 3.0TD in a Cherokee with a manual box and simple electronics sounds like a very good idea and could be quite good on fuel too I suspect. I'm guessing fit should be ok because they squeeze the 6 cylinder 4.0 in there but things are tight under the hood of an XJ.

Are the Toyota manual box bellhousings rare? I know a guy who had a manual Surf and had a struggle to get a starter cos most are autos but I know nothing about Toyota's and their mechanical bits.

There should be plenty of room in an xj although the 3.0 is quite bulky for a 4 banger.
The only problem you might come across is the starter motor as it's huge & the left floor pan may be in the way. This is the case on a tj but you just need to notch a small section out of the corner & plate it up.

The 3.0 td bellhousing is one of a kind & only came behind the 1kz-t engine which as far as I know is in the uk model 4runners only.

Another possible option could be a later model hilux with the d4d engine as I'm sure this uses the same block as the 1kz-t & that would make a very interesting but expensive conversion.

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »

Good Question kev

MAY BE Liking this myself, await kevs query
Stuart

big_patrol

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »

If you wanted to do the auto version it would be very simple using the 340f from a surf and the tail housing from a aw4 to mate to the jeep t case

big_patrol

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »

Also by the same reasoning you can use fit a lexus 4.0 v8 to the aw4/a340f, and even more interesting is that if you want to ditch the junk jeep axles you can fit a surf t/case behind your jeep transmission to give drivers drop front axle and a world of available strong axles

DIESELYJ

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »

I have done this to my yj but i swapped the bellhousing, input shaft & wiring etc to toyota.
I'm sure there was a reason why I didn't swap the tail housing but I can't remember.

big_patrol

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »

If you do remember would you let me know because im just about to start building a box ready to go in my buggy that will include parts from the two. Cheers

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »

Interesting stuff, my mind is whirring.

Are you running a Lexus v8 and AW4 in the buggy at the moment?

big_patrol

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »

My lexus has its origonal a341e a variant of the aw4 so kind of yes.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »

This is all getting a bit good as tech threads go and I am thinking that a Lexus robbed of its heart could be a cheaper way to re engine a buggy type TJ thing than going the usual SBC 700 R4 route.
Keep it going guys..... Taking notes here and pricing up the parts :icon_biggrin: :icon_twisted:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

:iagree: the kit car lot like the lexus and there are a lot of conversion about 

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »

The Lexus can fit to the AW4 XJ autobox , it's the wiring that needs to work. At least that's what I have seen around and about doing research. I know people swap AW4 boxes into other stuff so presumably it's not too hard to find out what signal inputs they need to work.

Interesting to think about, especially the transfer case meaning rh drop axles could work? Plus LS400s and Surfs aren't mega bucks for parts donors. Are the transfer cases much good?

I think I may have to medicate myself, getting totally carried away  :icon_eek:

This needs to be shifted to Workshop, we just need a competent Mod  :hysterical:

big_patrol

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »

The wiring is very simple, the link wilwood posted to earlier explains most of it. RA designs have many options that are not stupid money. Go on wilwood you know it makes sense, I am very impressed with the lexus in the buggy so far.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

:ace: super thread

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Spike-Jeep

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »

hi, got the chance of a 3.0 td and autobox with transfer box, would the lot fit in a Jeep Wrangler ? Its a 2.5 petrol I have, I think the gearbox is different from the 4litre ? but then I would need to find a flywheel and clutch assembly etc...

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »

:icon_eek: Holy thread revival Batman!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up