Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to diagnose XJ steering knock  (Read 1033 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Trying to diagnose XJ steering knock
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »

I've been driving for about 4 hours today, with the Jeep running perfectly, but within 4 miles of home tonight, I started to notice a light knock coming from something to do with the steering.

It's a small knock noise, and it seems to happen when I'm lightly turning the steering wheel (e.g. when I begin to go around a gentle curve), but doesn't do it every time.

I thought I'd get straight on here and see if anyone can help me diagnose this! I'll try to add more details after I drive it next.

Any idea what this could be a sign of? Whatever it is, it seems to be in its early stages!

Bryn

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Trying to diagnose XJ steering knock
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »

balljoiints.
Jack car up and using long pry bar ..... Broom handle will do place under tyre and lever up if you detect movement in balljoints then they are you culprit.......

just done mine ....tis easy but time consuming cos the  old girl has not been apart for 15 years :hysterical:

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »

And just check your wheel nuts. Just in case some one as tried to steal your wheels

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »

ujs
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »

Cheers for the help guys. I've been out in the Jeep a couple more times, and it really seems like it's coming from something in the steering column itself. I think I might actually be able to just feel it through the wheel, but there's a chance I could be imagining this!

I've been driving around with the windows open, and when it knocks, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the wheels. It's quite hard to tell exactly though, as it's only just noticeable.

I'll check the UJs and wheel nuts just to be sure, but does anyone know what could cause this in the steering column?

On an unrelated (or possibly not!) note, my front left wheel has been ticking on every rotation for over a week now. Initially I just assumed that something was stuck in there, but I can't see anything and it hasn't gone away. It's quite annoying hearing this when the windows are open! Any ideas?

Cheers,
Bryn

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: Re: Trying to diagnose XJ steering knock
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »

A ticking from the wheel can normally be traced to a stone stuck in the tyre tread. Have a look to see if the thin metal disc cover is no secure or is catching on something.
 Check the drive shafts for play in the ujs and the same for the steering column. The ball joints might be showing signs of wear, if you have a grease gun add some more to the top BJ as a precaution. The bottom ones are non greasable unless aftermarket patern ones havebeen fitted

Posted from my phone as its quicker than the pc connection
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up