Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: On board air  (Read 4569 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
On board air
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »

I've been toying with the idea for some time now and now that I have some spare time I've decided to give it a go. I'm doing this on a shoestring budget so hopefully I can pull it off. Thanks to some club members (Ireland) for the AC pump and the air tank I now have all the necessary parts to begin the install.

Basically I'm converting a typical AC compressor into a air compressor, parts required are:

AC compressor
Moisture collector
Oiler
Air filter
Pressure gauge
Pressure switch
Safety valve
One way valve
Hose
Couplers
Air tank (optional)

I managed to get an oil/water separator from Aldi the other day, turns out its exactly the same as the one I have on the shop compressor which I paid an arm and leg for. I found that the oiler and moisture trap are only sandwiched together with an O ring and by releasing the clamp and simply tapping the O ring ends I can now use the oiler on the intake side (AC compressors need oiling) and the moisture trap on the outline.

Todays job was to make the manifold to house the pressure gauge, safety valve, pressure switch and quick couplers, I used a piece of 30mm Ali bar and bored the centre out to suit 1/4" BSP fittings on the lathe. I then used the mill to shave 2 sides flat to make easier mounting the fittings etc. I'm waiting on delivery of my 1/4" BSP tap so couldn't complete it but here's a pic anyway.

Next task was to fabricate a way of plumbing hoses onto the original AC in/outlets on the compressor. I ended up ditching the hoses as they were orientated the wrong direction and just made up a heavy plate and used BSP fittings on this (there are O rings on the inlet/outlet ports so should be OK). This will give me options on what direction/orientation I use once installed.
Here's a couple of pics

And here is a layout pic of all the components (I missing a few parts as they haven't arrived yet) but you'll get the picture.

Tomorrows task is mounting the AC compressor and tensioner pulley in the Jeep.

UKJeeper

Re: On board air
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

Similar to what i have done on the YJ. Took all the AC off, except the Sanden. Kilby air filter, drip feed oiler on the intake, oil/water separator on the outake, ARB pressure switch, pressure relief valve, manifold to ARB solenoids. Tee's off to the tube bumpers (converted to air tanks) and the quick connects for air hoses front and rear.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »

Don't mount the drier too close to the compressor unless you fit a cooler between them as the compressed air gets very hot and will melt the plastic bowl in the drier.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Mike, how close is to close? are we talking inches or feet? If I did the old coil of copper trick before the moisture trap would that be enough to cool it down?

Cockney Boy

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »

I've just done my onboard air, but looking at your cylinder do you have an idea what pressure you intend to put in it. It looks rusty and dangerous to me and anything over 10 bar it could burst and seriously damage your street cred

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »

The tank is fine, just a little bit of surface scale from lying around, it had 200bar of CO2 in it up until a week ago so I think it will cope fine with 10 bar in it. But thanks for the words of caution. The tank was an owner bottle and was going to cost more than it was worth to get it tested again so he scraped it after it was used up. The wall thickness is over 1" thick!!!!!

Cockney Boy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »

Mmmmm rusty, probably out of test, and laying about!

Just have a read of this. I know it won't change your mind but see what it did to the hull

http://www.aquadivingschool.co.uk/disaster-area/

If it does explode and your close it won't really hurt and you do get that feeling off well being for a millisecond so at least that's a plus

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »

I made a copper cooling coil. You could also use an aircon condenser.

Jeepjedi

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »

I made a copper cooling coil for my moonshine setup. You could also use an aircon condenser.

sorted for ya Mike  :icon_winkle:

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »

Yeeeeehaaaa!

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »

Just asked the old Americans how they get round the old water trap melting and the answer was pretty simple, pipe the air to the tank first then back to the trap/manifold same as a typical air compressor. Seems logical to me. Will need to put a drain plug on the tank though to remove any fluid build up and the one way valve on this line. Anyone see any apparent issues with this setup?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »

Tis how mine is.....

Compressor to one way inline valve to tank to water trap to distribution rail that has gauge outlet for air line (tyres) and step down valve to ARB solenoid......job done.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »

Good thread, I'm in the process at the mo. What size lines are you using and have you all made manifolds / distribution blocks or can they be bought easily?

chrisjones

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
  • Vehicle: Dogface
  • Sometimes I wonder....
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »

Reckon I'm gonna go the high pressure dive cylinder route when I get round to it.
God was my copilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

Interesting as allways but for simplicity cockney slaaags system gets my vote

Though I have to say my onboard bubba socket set has stood the test of time and never failed in 30yrs of froadin not as fast as air but gets you there in the end

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Nosebolt

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

how do you pump up a tyre with a ratchet?  :003:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »

Or switch an ARB?

(but I know what you're saying  :icon_winkle:)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

Well day 2 saw the completion of the manifold (yes made my own) and the commencement of braketry to hold the AC pump. Everything it sitting nicely now but needs to be welded properly (tacked at the mo) and some triangulation and tidy up works. But here is some pics

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »

how do you pump up a tyre with a ratchet?  :003:

Air stealer

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »

Or switch an ARB?

(but I know what you're saying  :icon_winkle:)

No switch to a Lincoln locker

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Bigfeetrob

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »

I had the same set up on my Landy before I sold it to buy the Jeep  :icon_biggrin:

I had MAJOR problems with keeping the air con pump oiled. I burnt out two pumps in a matter on weeks of using the on board air. I had an in line oiler just before the pump that was designed to have a bowl of oil and as the incoming air was drawn through the oiler it would pick up oil with the air and provide oil to the pump. This system was not man enough to keep the pump oiled and it seized up 2 pumps. Normally the air con gas has the lubricant in it to keep the pump running smoothly.

I believe that some of the Sanderson pumps have an oil trap on the actually pump that drip feeds into the pump so may have just been the landy pumps that didn't have this.

Also well worth putting a filter on the incoming side of the pump, much like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Breather-Filter-15mm-Oil-Crankcase-Air-Small-/300506939619?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f79c00e3

I had mine mounted up by the top of the snorkel then run down into the oiler then into the pump.

When it was working the system was great and I had an old CO2 bottle under the chassis to hold air but would recommend getting at least 2 or turn any tube bumpers into tanks as the windy gun just drained the system so quickly and I would have to do one wheel nut then wait 2-3 mins for the tank to charge again then do the next nut etc.... but pumping up tyres the system could cope as all the air was going into the tyre. When your out laning or at a site and people see you have on board air then everyone will be asking you to pump up tyres trust me.

Hope that helps

Rob

warp

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

Came across this post on a FJ40 forum, they are doing a similar thing, might be able to get some ideas off there post

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/569011-sanden-board-air-compressor-77-2f-fj40.html

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »

Just a couple more pics of progress

Got all the bracing and triangulation done, and also seam welded the tacked sections. Its back in now for belt measuring and hopefully in the next few days I'll get a belt and try it out.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »

Idea ?

http://www.jeepforum.nl/topic/26738-nieuwe-warn-air-power-vtc-air-hose-kit/

as well as the fuel injection if you spot rear disc kit for the Chief while ya on there let me know
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up