Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crystal Halogen headlight upgrade (1998 Cherokee, XJ)  (Read 2931 times)

J22P

Crystal Halogen headlight upgrade (1998 Cherokee, XJ)
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:24 AM »

Has anyone tried the H4 conversion? This is where the whole headlamp unit is changed, but the existing bulbs are retained. The difference is that these new units use a moulded mirror interior to direct light with a plain front glass, as opposed to the original configuration of a plain mirror interior with the light directed by the lens formation in the front glass. Is it correct that this is the way all new cars are built?
I need to replace one headlight, the H4 conversion (for two "ambidexterous" units, ie no left or right - they are both the same) at £39 the pair certainly looks a better buy.
The seller assures that the kit is MOT legal, and presumably easily adjusted at MOT testing, but surfing the net indicates some concerns regarding effectiveness at longer distances. Also, seller makes mileage that as the units are plastic the reflective surface won't rust, probably too newly launched to find out whether the interior mirror surface eventually peels off.
Also whilst on, where's the best place to get replacement front underside engine splash covers from? I'm happy to cut and fit if the material is available in sheets.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
Re: Crystal Halogen headlight upgrade (1998 Cherokee, XJ)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »

Morning mate. I've not tried (or seen in the flesh) the headlights you describe, however I have recently fitted a set of LED headlights to my XJ. They were a touch more expensive at £44 (I think), but were simple to fit (probably not as simple as replacing the headlight unit though), but as they retain the front glass of the headlight, the beam pattern should also be unaffected which means MOTs should be fine.

There are a couple of threads on here discussing the use of LEDs which may be of interest:

http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=24746.0

http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=24961.0

HTH
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

Carlos Fandango

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »

I have fitted the clear glass headlights to my 97 XJ, the "projector" style ones and tbh they are no different, still like driving with candles, next step is to try led Cree replacement bulbs  :greggmo:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »

Upgrade the wiring, ARB sell a loom kit or you can make one. It's a big improvement even with standard bulbs and the wiring will allow you to fit 100w bulbs

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

I have fitted the clear glass headlights to my 97 XJ, the "projector" style ones and tbh they are no different, still like driving with candles, next step is to try led Cree replacement bulbs  :greggmo:

Would you like me to send you a link to the Cree bulbs which will make you smile?

YT

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »

If you fit LED, due to the low power draw, you can leave the original crappy loom in place as it supplies more than enough juice to keep the LED's happy. :)

J22P

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 02:10:01 AM »

Thanks everyone, it is the headlight unit I am interested in, to replace a cracked one, but I will certainly look at the LED option now.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »

run the front cherokees off relays for low and high beam, the result is you can run 100w+ bulbs with no fear of overloading the main light switch. Downside is that you will crack the lense in winter due to the bulb heat
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

YT

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »

run the front cherokees off relays for low and high beam, the result is you can run 100w+ bulbs with no fear of overloading the main light switch. Downside is that you will crack the lense in winter due to the bulb heat

Good job I decided on going LED, I had bought relays and 140/90 Zenons ! Don't think my lenses woulda lasted too long. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up