Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: performance upgrades forced induction engine swaps  (Read 6935 times)

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
Re: performance upgrades forced induction engine swaps
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »

:003: I already have  :headbanger:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »

Those figures are optimistic for a stroker

jeepmodel

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 08:08:33 AM »

That's why I was originally thinking supercharger or stroker but lots of people seem to think the supercharger is a bad idea. The kit seems really good value but I'm guessing it's problematic??

jeepmodel

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »

The V8 sounds a great conversion but I don't know enough about it and don't want to spend ages with the Jeep in the garage. I want to be able to use it not spend months waiting for it to be done. I really do like the V8 idea but if the supercharger was viable then I would probably go that for. Does anyone know anyone with one fired or are there any members here with a stroker or V8 conversion who can share their experience?

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »

There are both on here.....

Supercharger on TJ a

YJ with Stroker kit......

The supercharger owner has already voiced his advice........ :icon_twisted:

The Stroker kit was done in the USA and the owner is spanner capable so was economic........
Seems to work for him but I'm sure he'll be along with some figs for you.

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 08:50:47 AM »

Mark Gasser had a blower on his MJ, it was a bit if a waste in his own words
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

....it was also stroked. Seemed to spend a lot of it's time (ahem) under development.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »

if you want a v8 in a jeep sell the xj and buy a grand cherokee with one fitted. or buy a cj or wrangler with one fitted.

conversion of a cherokee will see it in the garage a long time with much moolar being spent over a long time
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »

bubba's forgot his sarnies again.......

BARKING MARK

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »

Awesome vids.... Jeeps rule...  :icon_super:
Had to laugh at the CJ7 and the Ferrari both stopped at the petrol station after the race  :icon_biggrin:

jeepmodel

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 11:11:16 AM »

Lol a fair few keep saying .. "Sell the xj and buy a" .. No offence boys but if I wanted a different car I'd have bought one in the first place lol ;-)

All I really want is an xj project that's capable off road and faster on the street. I was thinking 260 bhp ish but it seems that there are problems doing this. Supercharger is ruled out as no one speaks highly of this.

I LOVE the XJ. Always have. We have had a few over the years either a promo cars or a bit of fun.  I could go out and buy a new Cayenne Turbo if I wanted to go fast but I want to make a few changes to the Jeep and feel a bit more Lara croft haha

I'll try and find a bit more about putting a v8 in the XJ plus chat to the guys who have done the stroker and see from there.

I'm still torn on the lift kit to be honest. Have to start making some decisions though  :strum:

Delk

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »

I built a stroker years ago while living on a little island in the middle of nowhere. I had the ability and access to everything at work including boring machines for the cylinders.

They can be done even easier now since you can buy off the shelf stroker pistons. Go for the high compression ones in the UK since the fuel is better.

300hp is out of the question unless you spend the bank. look at a simple version around 240 to 250hp and it will run a lifetime and not cost you a fortune.

To start with you need the basic components and plan on a full overhaul. Then it just bolts back in place and nobody knows even the MOT man. Mine is running a pretty good cam and since I still have a cat it passed the emissions without issue.

Look this site over for quite a bit of information. He put it together along time back but the basic information doesn't change.
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »

If you must......

http://high-performance-engines.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATK&Product_Code=HP87

But you'll need to add uprated fuel and exhaust systems, brakes, rear axle etc to make it work.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

Got me looking at the bay  didn't you :jpshakehead:

Loads of GC 4.7 V8s for not a lot.....

And an SRT8 .........just for you Ade :hysterical:

jeepmodel

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »

Now that's more like it. Sensible work not ridiculous money and good HP from it :-)

Off for a little read now!  :97:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »

Were not saying don't do it but you said you don't want a car in a garage for longer than required and not a money pit. Unless your good mechanically yourself in all aspects, then your pocket will take an even bigger hammering. Have a look at the links below to give an idea of what work is or maybe required.

Then think again before you say yes or no, something like this you will never return the expenditure

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/p/501300/jeep-cherokee-lexus-v8-conversion

XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »

And an SRT8 .........just for you Ade :hysterical:

Enquiries have already been made :icon_winkle:

Project CJ7  :icon_super:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

BARKING MARK

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

I have to say
           "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches"

jeepmodel

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and help BTW! Some great ideas there. Going to start ordering wheels and suspension this week I think but already thinking about brake and exhaust upgrades ahead of any engine work.

Must admit I don't want it off the road for ages but ultimately its just a toy so I can do without it if necessary.  The V8s are awesome and would be a great conversion but I do think a stroker looks a really good compromise.

Either way I hope this has stimulated a bit of thought and conversation about options lol

BARKING MARK

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »

If you are going for the stroker DONT go bigger than 4.7 litres... People have over bored to get 4.8 litres but you end up with paper thin cylinder walls.....not good for the longevity of the engine.

francisolya

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »

To be honest -What a waste of alleged cash...your axles alone are only fit for approx half the power you currently have :lol_hitting:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

:iagree: True

xr6jeeper

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »

To be honest -What a waste of alleged cash...your axles alone are only fit for approx half the power you currently have :lol_hitting:
That reminds me :017: i must get one piece shafts this year :003:

jeepmodel

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »

I enjoyed the the little dig there "use of alleged cash" .. Always nice to be on the receiving end of the word 'alleged' lol 

That aside it seems the 30 is perfectly capable of handling the stroker. Unless wheel sizes go crazy. Even with lockers it seems OK. Plus it can have the shafts upgraded if needed. The xj has the same ujoint as the 44 from what I've read too?  If not then it can have larger ujoints added regardless.

I will do some off roading but nothing really extreme so don't imagine myself straining the axles in the same way some of you do.

Of course I'd love to hear your 'non dig' thoughts axle wise!  :wave-fingersmiely:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »

If you're not going mental with tyres....... IE keeping them at  33" and 10.50 wide or metric equivalent.......
Then you're  best bet is axles from a vehicle that will give you the correct ratios for those tyres...... IE 4.10

So.......go buy an MOT failure Petrol XJ that had the 2.5 4 cylinder emphasis again petrol engine.
The axles off this are Chrysler 8.8 at the rear which will take a locker and not grenade, has the 4.10 ratio and you're done. The front is the same as yours but with 4.10 ratio......
Job done....
You might find a 4 cylinder petrol XJ for £500.
Lots of other alternatives but expensive or it means using Nissan Patrol axles and ££££££ not for the axles but for the knowledge and engineering involved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up