Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Biofuel  (Read 9786 times)

Manda

• AKA Dangerous Doris
  • Founder
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
Biofuel
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »

I read this:

Biofuel in diesel 'wrecks engines'

Thousands of motorists could face huge repair bills following complaints that biofuels introduced by the Government can cause jellyfish-like blobs that destroy engines.

Since April 15, all petrol and diesel sold on forecourts has had to contain 2.5% biofuel, which is typically made from crops and vegetables.

But, experts say the fuel is having a crippling effect on some vehicles, particularly those using diesel because not all garage tanks have been properly cleaned.

It means bacteria are getting into the fuel and reacting with its vegetable and cereal base, producing 'blobby' lumps that can clog filters increase engine wear and destroy pipes and seals.

Since the biofuel content was introduced, garages claim to have taken an increasing number of complaints from motorists who have unwittingly introduced the contamination into their fuel tanks.

Garages are now being warned that they must flush out their fuel tanks regularly to prevent problems.

A Department for Transport spokesman said 'strict quality standards' were in place for biofuels but 'there needs to be good housekeeping at fuel stations'. (Daily Mail)

And thought it may be food for thought.
AKA Dangerous Doris

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:16 AM »

Oh great .... Mad Cow disease for my engine  :roll:

It all begs the question, why are we growing fuel when we should be growing food ?

Bio fuel means someone's starving ....

gordy

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:12:43 AM »

Holy cow, and we pay 5 quid a gallon for this crap.  I use Shell V Power diesel, wonder if that has biofuel in, my engine does seem more responsive and slightly better economy too.

gordy

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:12:59 AM »

Holy cow, and we pay 5 quid a gallon for this crap.  I use Shell V Power diesel, wonder if that has biofuel in, my engine does seem more responsive and slightly better economy too.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »

B is for Biofuel.
B is for bandwagon.
B is for bullshit.

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »

tho other thing is that if you run a but of veg in yer motor and they are adding it too, you might easily go overboard on yer mix and bang go your injectors.

Tragic

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: A proper Jeep!
  • Year: 1993
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »

Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
B is for Biofuel.
B is for bandwagon.
B is for bullshit.

Elloquently put Mike, and absolutely spot on :evil:

MuckShifter

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »

Quote from: "Tragic"
Quote from: "Mike Pavelin"
B is for Biofuel.
B is for bandwagon.
B is for bullshit.

Elloquently put Mike, and absolutely spot on :evil:

Yup x2

greggmo

• Founder
  • Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »

does this also mean that the price will come down by 2.5% as it don't come from the oil barrel?

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject:
does this also mean that the price will come down by 2.5% as it don't come from the oil barrel?

errrrrrr................ NO :lol:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

brian reid

Re: Biofuel
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »

in the uk,all diesel has 5% bio added by law,chances are this will increase in the future.

some modern engine will handle bio diesel very well,the car maker will tell you if you ask if the engine can run on bio diesel,i an sure scoda and vw and merc are ok but please check with these companies.

i have used bio 100,this is 100% bio deiesel in my 2.5td 1998 cherokee and there was no problems in running at all,no lack of power,no hard start,just ran like a normal diesel,i did at the time notice a price diffrence,at the time derv was about £1.05 per ltr,i was filling up for less then 0.80p per ltr with bio diesel from a company that makes more than 60,000 ltrs per day and can sell out in a morning,truck,buses taxis all filling with this gold,and all made from waste veg oil,that would normaly be burned or dumped by the local council.

the carbon and sulpher emissions from running on bio diesel are near nil,your car should breeze through its emissions test, even older engines.

you can by kits to make bio diesel from ebay etc for arounf £400 plus,if you have a source for used veg oil that free of very cheap you are talking about cost of around £0.30 per ltr,bet that got you sitting up.

bio fuels are the future,like it or not,but the oil we drill from the sea beds will not last for ever,there is around 40yrs of oil in the north sea alone,as oil wells run down fuel prices will hit the roof an you will not be able to afford a gallon,think about it!!!!!!!!!

Tank

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:25 PM »

I tried bio diesel in my Vauxhall van,and i decided that it just wasnt worth it,i was notably losing power,and doing around 10-15% less miles per gallon

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »

PHAT RIDE!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Tank

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »

PHAT RIDE!!!

Not referring to me are you Mr H?????

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »

The world ain't ready for it, and won't be for a lot of years. The entire world revolves around oil. Whole
economies are dependant upon it. Taking oil out of the picture would result in the collapse of
civilization as we know it. Meanwhile, farmers get subsidised for producing corn and oil seed rape,
which is also used for food, thus pushing up prices at the supermarket. 80p/litre diesel wont seem such
a good deal when a loaf of bread costs 5 quid.

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »

££££££5 for a loaf!!! Stew will be in demand...

brian reid

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

farmers are already turning to growing rape seed as they are getting payed more per ltr and there is already farms that solely grow and press then make bio on site,its big buisness and there is a pile of money to be made as bus and train companies and local councils turn to bio fuels for there diesels,there is a massive plant that makes bio diesel not to far from me that supplies bus companies like stagecoach,remember the emissions from bio are near nil and there is a massive drop in smoke emissions to,the only thing is with bio diesel it does not take to rubber well,any rubber in the fuel system or rubber seals in the fuel pump will not last long,they have to be made from silicon or replaces with silicon seals an silicon pipes.

car companies claiming there cars will not run on bio diesel is rubbish,the engine will run,but there may be item of rubber in the fuels system design that may fail,the car companies could get round this if they wanted to.....scoda seems to have done this,loads of scoda taxi,s round here running on bio at £0.87 per ltr last time i checked if you can get the stuff.

some bio diesel companies will deliver to your door free of charge if there out collectiong in your area,they eliver in 50 gal drums and you can pump it in at your leasure

as for bio diesel causing people to go hungry,most bio diesel is made from used cooking oils that would normaly go to land fill sites,the firm that are making it collect from local dinners,often free of charge as dinners have to pay local councils to take it away.....a good way of making some serios money,,,by the way,macdonald,asda,stagecoach,many local councils,all use bio diesels to name a few

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »

At the moment bio-diesel usage is low enough for it to be made from recycled oil, but if everyone
were to start using it, even Bubba couldn't eat enough chips to satisfy the need for it. It's easy
to sit at a keyboard saying this and that, but remember that the world runs on oil. The oil companies
aren't going to let that change. They have something the environmentalists don't - money, and money
buys votes. If big oil had no part in this, we'd all have water engines or deLoreans with Mr Fusion
reactors.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:33 PM »

Fuel duty in the UK is only reduced for bio made from waste oil.

I agree with oil companied fighting it - but others may look at it as the future way for them to make money.

There are crops that can be grown in the desolate areas of the planet, where other crops will not grow - cactus, which give a high yield of oil suitable for bio - not suitable for consumption.

I also presume oil companies are fighting wind turbines and hydroelectric technologies as these also reduce the consumption of fossil fuels?
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »

I also presume oil companies are fighting wind turbines and hydroelectric technologies as these also reduce the consumption of fossil fuels?

Not particularly. In the US, very little power is generated from burning oil. It's mostly coal and
nuclear, along with some solar and wind. None of this touches the oil companies bottom lines.

It's all very well if Europe goes biofuel, but geography dictates that Americans need to drive, cus
everywhere is so far, and public transport is an expensive luxury left to big cities. We still have large
coal and oil reserves and are of the attitude that if China and India are gonna spew crap into the
asmosphere, them we may as well too - it's all the same air. Meanwhile, Europe cripples itself
with high taxation and high prices as some kind of eco-warrior - making no difference whatsoever
as China makes up any reductions in CO2 output very quickly.

The only way the US will go green is if there's money in it. The money is in turn 'donated' by
large companies to political parties in return for favourable laws that help said company make more
money.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »

i totaly agree when will europe grow some balls and get real

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

The Smiths

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

i totaly agree when will europe grow some balls and get real

Yep

If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

isle of man

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »

currently 27 member states all are in the RED......

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »

yup and still bleating the green song

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

brian reid

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

its funny,but all the experts are people that have never used bio or veg,listen to me

2.5td cherokee 1998

50k miles,never missed  beat on bio and pure veg,engine still purrs like a kitten and its at 150k miles.

the only thing i notice is change in my pocket,last week,pure new veg oil at £0.72p per ltr

i must have saved 100s of pounds over the last 4 years

now i am off for a pint

c u all ltr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up