Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: finally got off my ass  (Read 12046 times)

Nosebolt

Re: finally got off my ass
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »

1/8 and 3/8 but have some nickel plated ones ordered now, thanks for the offer,

but useful for anyone to know who's removing all the superfluous vacuum feeds of a V8

Nosebolt

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »

done all the metal work mods to the XJ column today and its now fitted, most electrics are plug and play, got to swap wiper motor to a 4 wire type and I can then use the column wiper switch, also reroute the dip switch wires and connect to column controls. only switch I cant use is the cruise control

[attachment=1]

next is to make a hybrid link shaft, half CJ, half XJ

[attachment=2]

also had the fancy blanking pugs arrive and they are now fitted, no more messy unused rubber pipes on the 360 now

[attachment=3]

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »

Well done Bruce, mine is still sitting in the body tub waiting for me to fit it. I'm still buggering about with fitting the new PAS box.

[attachment=1]

Nosebolt

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

just finished the link shaft, top end is XJ and keeps its impact compression slide and stronger UJ, bottom is CJ with the booted sliding UJ, so get best of both :003:

join was easy, cut the XJ as long as possible, and cut the CJ on the thicker tube at the end of the flats, use the oxy torch to melt the nylon lock and hammer out the flat sided bar, clean every thing up and fit the 2 halves and mark where the XJ end is on the CJ shaft (need to keep the XJ shaft long so the impact slide works) trim the CJ shaft and use the flat sided tube off cut from the CJ to sleeve the joint.

point the magic TIG at it and splash of paint and you have steering again :icon_super:

[attachment=1]

close up of joint
[attachment=2]

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »

Nice one mate.............. good feeling doing some'at like that knowing that the alternative is Flaming River or whoever and $6-700 :icon_super:

Extended mine for the 1 Ton and then.................shortened it cos I was going full hydro............ :jpshakehead: :hysterical: Still cost nowt tho :icon_biggrin:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »

tis always good when you do it yourself, at least then you appreciate how overkill you want to make it.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Nosebolt

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

got the engine out today, mounts, flywheel and clutch swapped over
[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

all jet-washed ready to paint the bulkhead, to much of a rush last time so didn't get done
[attachment=3]

[attachment=4]

tomorrow its paint bulkhead, fit gearbox to block and refit into car

Nosebolt

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »

good start to the day, needed more smooth hamerite for the bulkhead and it was on sale 50% off :003:

all painted ok, box fitted to block ok and thought i would also fit the trans (normally fit to engine after it in car) all would have been fine it the engine crane was 5" longer :banghead: but the extra weight at the far end has scuppered me for today, that and the light running out. have got a plan for tomorrow involving axle stands, a scaffold pole and a ratchet strap, so fingers crossed

Nosebolt

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »

and i's in :icon_super: :icon_super:

[attachment=1]

Tank

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »

Lookin good...... :icon_super:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »

well done dood

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »

just plumb it all up and theres the hot rod look
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

momos

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »

yey  :ace: cool
its too cool to get grubby

Nosebolt

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »

another good couple of days, props, starter, clutch mech., power steering pump, carb, dizzy, gear sticks, oil filler tube most hoses and cables fitted, most of the other bits that need doing are now painted and i think I have sussed the new wiper wiring.

weather permitting the wiring loom, battery tray and the earth cables will go on and we may see some life, wont be a full fire up as need new leads to fit the HEI dizzy but should be able to test the rest.

still to do is draw up and get machined from some alloy billet a new hi line alternator mount, as a bonus the machine shop needs a new workshop sign so will be able to do a trade off :003:

Nosebolt

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »

another good day :003:

made the alternator brackets and really happy with it
[attachment=1]

all electrics now above the rocker covers
[attachment=2]

all the under side buttoned up, and the column controls are 90% done, may even get the exhausts and some body on tomorrow :003:

Nosebolt

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »

lost a few days on the CJ, got to take the work when its about, anyway its full of oil, headers are on, it's been turned over on the battery to get the oil pressure up a bit and circulating, static timing been set as best I can, fuel all plumbed in just waiting for new HT leads and one v belt (now need a 1100 as I have moved the alternator and the 1060 don't fit) and we could see some life :icon_super:

will be nice to get it drivable then I can use the workshop across the road again to get the last of the winter upgrades done, new rear leafs, rear locker and new longer front shock mounts, all here waiting to go on..

Nosebolt

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »

spent most of today trying to sort out why the break light wouldn't go out, all down to the column change slightly different position for the main ignition plug caused it to just push against the break peddle enough to activate the break lights but not enough to take up all the free play. just too about 2mm off the edge of the peddle near the hinge and all sorted. only took 3 hours to work out what to do and get it done :banghead:

still another step closer :003:

Nosebolt

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

it saw life today, refitted the old motorcraft dizzy and a bit of fresh petrol and we had life, didn't run for too long as no water in it yet and yet to see any oil pressure but that could just be the mechanical gauge needing bleeding.

all in all happy, does sound nice on just the headers but not sure the neighbours agree :icon_twisted:

Tank

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »

Thats good news NB,wont be long before being back on the circuit again i hope

Nosebolt

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »

small set back today, one minute it will starts on the key next its like it has a flat battery, recon its either the starter or cables, battery tested ok and was same on jump pack, so dug out the spare starter and stripped and cleaned it and will be getting some thicker cables asap

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

Sounds exactly like when battery connections are bad

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »

indeed

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Nosebolt

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »

change of starter motor has made a hell of a difference, still getting some 16mm feed and earth leads made tomorrow, only gotta pay for fittings so can't pass it up
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up