Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2004 Cherokee 2.8 CRD - peculiar noise when starting from rest  (Read 1755 times)

Simon J

I've noticed that when using my Cherokee for long trips, if I have to make a brief stop, at a motorway toll both for example, it makes a most peculiar noise when moving off again. At first I thought it must be a sticking brake shoe in a rear drum but then I realised it's discs all round! But the sort of noise it makes - like something sticking, or catching - is just like a sticking brake shoe and it clears itself after a few seconds. It's hard to describe but perhaps others have the same problem and thus know exactly what I'm referring to!

Any ideas guys?

Mike Pavelin

Re: 2004 Cherokee 2.9 CRD - peculiar noise when starting from rest
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »

Change the oil in the rear diff with the correct grade and limited slip diff additive.

Simon J

Re: 2004 Cherokee 2.8 CRD - peculiar noise when starting from rest
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »

Thanks for that suggestion, Mike, I can probably get that organised OK. But what do you think is causing the noise and how would changing the oil and additive make a difference? The car isn't used for any strenuous off road work where the Trac Lok diff would be made to work hard.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »

If the oil's shagged, the clutch discs in the diff will chatter.

Simon J

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09:14 PM »

Thanks, Mike. I guess a drop of oil and fluid would quickly determine if that is indeed the problem.

Rgds,
Simon

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »

its worth doing before going in with anything else that will cost £££'s
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

Simon J

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »

Strangely enough, after a short run yesterday (25 miles round trip) the noise reappeared when manoeuvering backwards and forwards into a parking space. But there was no sign of it when it had cooled down a couple of hours later when I was heading home from work. First time it's done that so I'll get the diff oil and additive changed next week.

Simon J

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »

So I took the Jeep out to the Land Rover shop today and they changed both front and rear axle oils. When they took the cover off the rear diff they reckoned the oil was well past its sell by date so I told them to go ahead and do the front one while they were at it. Certainly I've had no repeat of the noise although I haven't done much mileage but I'm off on an outing tomorrow so that will provide an opportunity to see if the noise is gone. But by gum those synthetic oils are dear (at least in this part of the world). Total cost of oil was 105 euro (about 95 quid). Ouch!

Simon J

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »

I still experienced some slight noise from the diff on my trip today, most noticeably when pulling out of a steep farm drive on loose gravel and turning onto the road. But perhaps I need to do the 8 or 10 tight figures of eight to get the new oil round the diff plates as recommended in the service manual. The problem is finding somewhere to do that round these parts! I may pop out early tomorrow morning and go to a shopping mall car park on the outskirts of town before it opens for business!

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:39:34 AM »

friction modifier in the oil ???
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

Simon J

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »

The oil they put in apparently has the modifier already included. If the noise doesn't go away completely after my figure of eight exercise this morning then I'll have to back to the guys who did the oil change and check exactly what oil was put in it. They assured me it had the modifier already in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up