Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ - Seized tailgate hinge pins  (Read 1051 times)

Tony Hill

TJ - Seized tailgate hinge pins
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

My TJ hasn’t been used much for a couple of years but amongst all the big jobs to get it back in good condition I noticed what I first thought was something easy to sort, the tailgate was difficult to use.

Lithium grease didn’t help and when I took a proper look this week it was no wonder; bubbling paintwork on the hinges and the offside body panels were actually flexing as the tailgate creaked open and shut.

Conclusion .... seized tailgate hinge pins but three days of treating with penetrating oil and trying to force this into the pins by repeated opening and closing made no difference, in fact it got worse and I expected one or both hinges to break.

An Internet search produced http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/mechanical/tailgate/hinge/rusted_pins.html and although I was dubious about heating the hinges while on the Jeep, I got hold of a two-heat hot air gun to give it a go.

Two minutes of heating each hinge on each side (on the gun’s cooler of two settings) while spraying penetrating oil into the tiny gap between hinge and pin didn’t seem to make any difference. However, with two more heating/spraying cycles plus lots of opening and shutting, the tailgate gradually eased up and the creaking disappeared.

A final heating was followed by lithium grease and all seems well.

Eventually, the hinges will have to come off to be rubbed down and resprayed (when I’ll probably take the opportunity to drill and tap them for grease nipples) but  as it is ….. one less reason not to get off-road soon.

Not earth-shattering stuff I know....but it made me happy :icon_razz:

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up