Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: lost 4 wheel drive on my xj  (Read 4731 times)

kinger

lost 4 wheel drive on my xj
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »

selected 4 wheel drive today on the beach at weston super mare, light came on saying temporary, but do not have any drive to the front wheels, tried then selecting 4 wheel low, still no front drive, tried the lever in all positions but still no front drive . had to be rescued by my mate with his landrover and winch. how embarasing :icon_redface:. any ideas guys

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
Re: lost 4 wheel drive on my xj
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

Is the front prop turning? Are there any nasty noises?

kinger

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »

no nasty noises at all, and is fine in 2 wheel. got underneath and in 2wd the front prop can be turned by hand, in 4wh the front prop is locked, 4wlo the prop is locked, position N, front prop turns. but when i try to drive in 4wd h or lo. the front wheels are not being driven. im not able to check fluid at the moment as dont have a tool to undo bung.any one had the same

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »

If you can turn the front prop with both front wheels on the ground the front diff ot a front halfshaft is bust.

kinger

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

thanks mike that makes sense, thats why when i engage the transfer box i cant turn front shaft by hand, therby proving the transfer box is working. oh dear that looks like a new front axle, anyone know if that is straight forward and what to watch out for

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »

If yours is a 2.5Td - then you need to buy one the same to keep ratios the same

I also know someone (me) that may have a spare :003: :003: - pm being sent :icon_winkle:

but a distance away from that beach :icon_rolleyes:
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

kinger

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

managed to get myself a front axle sorted out its from a 2.5 td so should be straight forward, all i have to do is find the time to do it as i have my boat engine to put back together as well. it never rains just pours. still only 38 days and going back to cornwall hooray

sprintagogo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

You need to find what is broken 1st before you start swapping bits/axles. You will be mighty dissapointed if you find the problem is still there after you think you have changed the broken part. If it is just a snapped half-shaft then swapping that would be simpler but if the diff is broken then a fresh axle is the simplest and cheapest solution. The only thing is, if it were the diff then I would expect some crunching and banging.

Can you definitely turn the front prop all the way around when in 2wd (not just a 1/4 turn which can be slack in the diff)?

scrw

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »

if your TC is okay then stick in 4wd and lift ONE front wheel at a time, if all okay it shouldn't rotate more than 1/8th of a turn, if it does it points to that 1/2 shaft or a diff issue. TBH if either are gone it is fairly obvious, "should" be making some noise

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »

yup you still have not found the problem

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

DRUNKEN DIXIE

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

Maybe something to do with the vacuum ball for the 4wd.

sprintagogo

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »

Maybe something to do with the vacuum ball for the 4wd.

There is no vacuum 4x4 system on the Cherokees of this age. The vacuum ball found behind the bumper of a Cherokee is for the aircon and cruise controll and maybe engine control reasons.

DRUNKEN DIXIE

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »

Ok thanks.

kinger

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »

thanks guys for feed back , there is no noises, no grinding or knocking. in 2wd i can spin the prop by hand with no effort. i can drive it ok in 2wd, and also change into 4wd high whilst moving and no noises and light comes on saying part time.
bubba do you have a idea, you reply seemed cryptic !!!, going to whip the front prop off then try engaging 4wd if the front coupling  turns on the transfer box then that would prove that it is working.

scrw

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »

hmmm, spinning the prop with no effort/noise in 2wd sounds like pinion gear has snapped, only seen it once before, even with shed teeth you expect to feel/hear grinding.

go on, pop off the diff cover and post up a photo

scrw

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »

going to whip the front prop off then try engaging 4wd if the front coupling  turns on the transfer box then that would prove that it is working.

don't need to take the prop off to do that, just stick it in PT 4wd with all 4 wheels on the ground, you shouldn't be able to spin the front prop

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »

yup

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

I may be wrong ... but if both front wheels are on the ground (no free wheeling hubs) then you wont be able to turn the front prop by hand whether 4wd or 2wd is selected ...  :017:

scrw

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

exactly, hence me saying it could be a bust pinion gear.

he did say..

in 2wd i can spin the prop by hand with no effort.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

Has it ever worked? someone might have had a problem and taken the spider gears out of the diff to mask the problem.

kinger

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:48 PM »

if i put it in to 4wd h or lo then i cannot turn propshaft . i guess that is because im now connected to the rear axle, put it back in 2wd and can spin prop fast enough to hear the fluid in the transfer book.

scrw

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »

yep, sounds like TC is okay, go on, drop the diff cover, we will share the pain  :icon_biggrin:

Lornaben

• Lord of the Mindy ring
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: CJ3B (Mindy)
    • Mahindra Register
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »

exactly, hence me saying it could be a bust pinion gear.

he did say..

in 2wd i can spin the prop by hand with no effort.

Indeed, but didn't say whether it was up in the air or not. Thats why I said 'both front wheels are on the ground'
 :003:

kinger

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

hey bubba, was that a yup that you do have a idea ????? and if you do can you enlighten me ???

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »

Easy one this
1:Put jeep in 2wd and jack the front end so both wheels off floor
2:spin one wheel and the other wheel should spin the opposite way if not diff jiggered or if both go same way you have some sort of locker installed!!!
3:If step 2 seems okay lower one wheel to floor or have mate hold it then spin the opposite wheel and that should make prop spin instead if prop dosent spin diff jiggered.
4:post pics of mess in diff casing to satisfy this bloodthirsty lot.

3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up