Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep GC 07 speedo  (Read 1840 times)

jeepgc07

Jeep GC 07 speedo
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:55:41 PM »

Hi
I have a Jeep grand cherokee 07 manufacture but registered 08 in uk. All fine except the speedo dial in KPH but also MPH in smaller text. I would like to change the dial to MPH ie UK or US with KPH in smaller text. I can get hold of an instrument cluster with MPH dial but not sure if it show the present milage? Mileage is in eletronic display that can be selected in KM or miles. So I just want to swap just the speedo dial only. Any guidance please. My jeep is GC 07 CRD 3.0L with 15K miles.
Thanks

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: Jeep GC 07 speedo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »

i would imagine you would need a new instrument binnacle the cost me out weigh the cuteness of the new one

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »

One must concur with Bubba...

thorna

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

Not having been in a WK for sure I can't confirm, are the dials/binacles different for the petrol vs diesel?
If they are different then as the 3ltr CRD is an export market car only its primary market is Km/h countries. So to achieve the Mph showing as the larger may be impossible.
Either way super dear & for a newer wagon such as yours probably best not to atempt!

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

is the speedo with mileage just a display but with the ecu storing the mileage count? how about just a dial overlay could be a lot cheaper
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

tim_aka_tim

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Honda Pilot
  • Year: 2008
  • Regional Organiser North America
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

I found an article that says WJs store the mileage in the PCM, so the WK is probably the same.
If it's got multiplex wiring though, the new cluster might need to be programmed into the PCM,
which only a dealer (or other place with high dollar computer) could do. One for the Doc.

Like Dave says, hunting down an overlay would be cheapest.

Mike Pavelin

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

at least with an overlay you can customise it to how you want it, obviously keeping it readable
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »

at least with an overlay you can customise it to how you want it, obviously keeping it readable
        Trouble is it's backlit so an overlay woukd bugger the illumination.

jeepgc07

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »

Thanks Guys
I have already bought a Jeep commander instrument cluster in US with 21K miles only and I will get it to UK soon. Good job my daughter lives out there. These are identical to Grand Cherokee WK or WH. Since my Jeep done only 15K I will not change the whole cluster instead I will try and remove the speedo dial and see if I could swap it with mine .
The instrument cluster cost is not much so I can open it and use the real dial than an overlay. If it not works out nothing is lost but keep the cluster for spares! My LR Disco 300TDI is 16 year old and had it from new so I have no plan to sell this beast either. The speedo dial are identical for petrol or diesel JGC and the milage display is electronic that can be switched between MPH or KPH. I am not sure where it is stored ie in the instrument cluster or ECU?
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up