Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ 2003 - Dropping the front drive shaft?!?  (Read 1319 times)

gregwho

WJ 2003 - Dropping the front drive shaft?!?
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:20 PM »

Hey All

I'm in need of some advice!

I've got a leak on my front diff (Grand Cherokee WJ 2003), and I thought it was the diff cover seal that was leaking.  Unfortunately though it turns out the oil is coming from the back of the diff where the front drive shaft goes into it, so I'm guessing there is a seal there somewhere that has gone.

So, not being a fan of putting loads of money at a dealer or garage to drop the drive shaft out and/or the diff to change what i'm guessing is a £5 part, has anyone ever done this before that could offer some guidance and tips?  I reckon its going to be quite involved, but didnt want to go too far and then find I need some special tool, or something that is a dealer only thing to change.  I'm hoping i can drop the drive shaft, change a seal and stick it all back together, but I know Im not that lucky  :icon_eek:

Anyways, if anyone has pictures, diagrams, general info and advice, pearls of wisdom etc i'd love to hear it so I can work out if this is something I can tackle or not!

Cheers in advance

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: WJ 2003 - Dropping the front drive shaft?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »

the job will be SIMILAR to post 88 on this thread http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=12645.75.

so use it as a guid as to what might be involved before you start ripping the diff apart
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up