Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jacks & axle stands?  (Read 4808 times)

Wreckless

Jacks & axle stands?
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »

I've got a trolley jack and some axle stands, but they look like toys under the Jeep. I want to replace them with something a bit more useful, without going too OTT.

What would you recommend? Also be interested to see the best places to position jacks and stands as I'd rather not learn this one the hard way!

Thanks!

Nosebolt

Re: Jacks & axle stands?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »

Get some big mofo wooden blocks and stick them under the chassis.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »

worth a look

Got a pair of 3 tonne (IIRC) ones, very strong & good bits of kit.

Also a 3 tonne trolley jack, think mine is sealey, will look in a bit but its important to get one that lifts high enough
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

MOCAJ

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »

:imwitstupid:

axle stands under the axle or chassis rails, depends what you doing
short term jeep owner since 2005, every truck is a never ending project. Birtys, the best club in Jeepland

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »

I bought 3T axle stands and trolley jack from Halfords and Machine Mart, when they had a sale.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »

Can thoroughly recommend a sealey 3003cxq 3 tonne trolley jack, just has a quick look about, I'm sure i got mine for about £50 but maybe I'm wrong looking at the prices  :icon_eek:

thorna

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »

Another vote for a big machine mart jack; can't remember what model mine is but it can't be picked up by hand & was about £60, max travel/height is important if running big lift/tyres.
I used to use a little trolley jack & various blocks/bricks to make up the height when changing wheels over but then realised my health was worth more!

Tank

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »

I had a 4x4 jack think it was made by Clarkes,from Machine Mart with the height adjustable saddle,and around 3 tonne iirc,and it was shite.Did the job but didnt last very long at all.I bought a 3 tonne professional type jack then from one of the 4x4 shows and it has been really good,but the bargain of the century was my 6 tonne jack i bought from Ebay for £20,proper commercial and weighs a tonne itself  :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:

Heres the first one,recommend to avoid
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000ql-3-tonne-quick-lift-trolley-j/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks

This one similar to the one i got from the 4x4 show though mine isnt a clarke one but it has been good and lasting well
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3qlg-3-t-quick-lift-pro-trolley-jac/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks

Nosebolt

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »

something i found out in my very short time working for machine mart is they have no loyalty to manufactures, the same product can be made by half a dozen Chinese factories and the very same products can be sold under 10s on brand names, one the plus side their warranty ain't to bad

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »

Hey Tank the first one on your list is the one I've got ..........................and it is SHITE...............only had it since sept and its playing up already.

Pevious Sealey jack I have had since 1978 and only just burst its seals....................

Need one for lifting buses or trucks now tho :hysterical:

Tank

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

Hey Tank the first one on your list is the one I've got ..........................and it is SHITE...............only had it since sept and its playing up already.

Pevious Sealey jack I have had since 1978 and only just burst its seals....................

Got just the one for you here Jez,10 tonne
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280614176395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Wreckless

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:39 PM »

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000ql-3-tonne-quick-lift-trolley-j/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks

This one similar to the one i got from the 4x4 show though mine isnt a clarke one but it has been good and lasting well
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3qlg-3-t-quick-lift-pro-trolley-jac/path/trolley-jacks-bottle-jacks-transmission-jacks
Thanks for the heads up. I might have ended up buying the shite one.

I don't mind paying £50ish, but not keen on a ton. Might have to keep an eye on Ebay and see what comes up.

Tank

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

The Clarke one i bought,i paid nearly £45 for at the time which didnt seem tooo bad,but i only got to use it 3 or 4 times before it fooked up and i couldnt be arsed to mess around with it so binned it

Bishops Finger

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »

3 t trolley jack here as well..

Tank

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:16:12 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I might have ended up buying the shite one.

I don't mind paying £50ish, but not keen on a ton. Might have to keep an eye on Ebay and see what comes up.

I have learned with things like jacks,you get what you pay for,and its your head if they go wrong so worth buying a better one than a cheap one

Green Jeep

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »

I got 5 ton axle stands and a decent trolley jack from screwfix.com, was on clearance deal and cost next to nothin, and delivered, happy days Maf

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:44:15 PM »

Just keep looking for the quality stuff on offer is all I can suggest  :icon_winkle:

williecba

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »

When I started adding the lifts I got 2 pairs of Clarke 6 ton axle stands. They were almost too high at the start but they go under easy now. I made up some squares of 1" thick ply to go under them for use on tarmac or other dodgy surfaces. I find them excellent. I also have a pair of smaller stands that I put under the rocksliderz "just in case" when I am going underneath.

[attachment=1]

I got the regular Clarke 3 ton trolley jack for £84 but broke a caster when I attempted to drag a wheel less Jeep away from the garage doors. Machine Mart sold me a new caster but I was never as confident in it so I bought:

Arcan XL30B 3 ton Jack.  Love this one, It was at Costco for about £75 but I don't think they have them at the minute. It seems twice as well made as the Clarke one. More solid, longer handle, smoother action, better lift, L shaped sides seem more rigid.

However, guy selling one on ebay: item number 250754801430 3 days left.   I would be very tempted to buy this myself as I find 2 trolley jacks make life so easy and i would love a matched pair.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »

That's a hell of a way to prevent your wheels or truck getting nicked. Do that every evening ?  :098:

Tank

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
I expected something like that from BD,but well done Dutch,getting in first

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »

Naaaahhh.....as far as I can make out BD's wont go anywhere anyway.......with or without wheels  :003:

Tank

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »

I meant the comment.......but another fair point :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :lol_hitting:

williecba

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »

If you don't jack it up the bottom of the tyres go flat and spoil the appearance.

While I was at it I took the wheels off so I could get them in the bath and scrub all that nasty mud off!

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

Naaaahhh.....as far as I can make out BD's wont go anywhere anyway.......with or without wheels  :003:

to the newly formed Mr & Mr Leopard  :016:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up