Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ body mounts  (Read 2052 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
CJ body mounts
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the height of a standard set of body mount rubbers/spacers is for a intermediate CJ, the ones on mine were all over the place and I want to try and get them back to where they should be, also if someone has the correct layout of the spacers (i.e. washer/rubber(size)/chassis/rubber(size)/body - at each of the chassis mount positions)

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
Re: CJ body mounts
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

There are a few different sizes ones depending on where they go, its probably easier to buy a set from the states and even then due to twist in chassis and tub etc you may end up packing them out here and there anyway....
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »

While buying them out of the US would be easier, I have better things to spen $100 on so I'm making my own (I have done so in the past) I have the material so its not that difficult. So thats why I'm looking for the sizes so I have a starting point to work from

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »

fair enough will measure mine for you then when i have a moment
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

Nosebolt

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »

except for the rad cowl I was sure all the body mounts in my CJ7 were the same

ferretjuggler

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »

There are a few different sizes ones depending on where they go, its probably easier to buy a set from the states and even then due to twist in chassis and tub etc you may end up packing them out here and there anyway....

Don't give in to twist in tub or chassis :banghead:

Aplication of BFBI (brute force and bloody ignorance) and a control freak mentality should see it sitting on original spec mounts :098:

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

right heres whats on my cj6 starting at the front and going back...

front one under the grill i think its 3/4" but its very difficult to measure
the two front ones are 3/4"
the next two are 3/4"
the next two are 1 1/4"
the next two are 1 1/2"
the two that are angled on the chassis 3/4"
the two in front of the fuel tank on the cross member 3/4"
and the four ones at the back are 3/4"

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:35 PM »

right heres whats on my cj6 starting at the front and going back...

front one under the grill i think its 3/4" but its very difficult to measure
the two front ones are 3/4"
the next two are 3/4"
the next two are 1 1/4"
the next two are 1 1/2"
the two that are angled on the chassis 3/4"
the two in front of the fuel tank on the cross member 3/4"
and the four ones at the back are 3/4"

Thanks heaps, that saves me a lot of guess work, I would say by the way mine was mounted to the chassis someone else used brute force before me, that and a die grinder and a few other odd tools, thats why I don't want to spend money on the originals as I have a feeling mine is going to need some fetling

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »

no problem i bought a proper bodymount kit and still ended up making shims here and there, but the one thing i did do was ditch the sleeves and used some M12 bolts and nylocs instead seems to have worked out quite well and they are a lot sturdier than factory fixings even though i now have a 40mm body lift as well.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

no problem i bought a proper bodymount kit and still ended up making shims here and there, but the one thing i did do was ditch the sleeves and used some M12 bolts and nylocs instead seems to have worked out quite well and they are a lot sturdier than factory fixings even though i now have a 40mm body lift as well.

Short arse syndrome???
"Not all those who wander are lost"

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »

Yeah well I've got an extra 1" lift just with the steel stiffner profile I used, so I'm going to try the stock settings and maybe add an extra 1/2" for comfort, I've been told not to go too high on the body as it make the jeep wobble around a bit., I'm only running 33" at the mo and all ready have a 4" spring lift.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »

oooo bodylift an inch max in my considered veiw

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

Thats what I thought too, I'm not a fan of huge body lifting, I will be using M12 bolts with nylocs, body mounts will be made from sandwiching conveyor belt rubber together with HDPE plastic (white kitchen chopping board), beauty of being around quarries is I have an abundance supply of conveyor belt which is incrediably strong and comes in various thicknesses, the chopping boards are very cheap also,

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »

Short arse syndrome???

:hysterical: youve never met me have you IOManky not the typical jeep owners shape im afraid :icon_winkle:

Did have 25mm but moved up to 40mm to try and stop the 33s crashing into the rear arches but it hasnt worked as the passenger side rear one is still taking a beating the front arches are doing better now though!.
gives me more clearance for the "Toyota" gearbox as well with it being a big long lump

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »

So here are my body mounts, turned them up on the lathe then cut the conveyor belt and glued it to the base, the rubber section will go against the chassis with another rubber section on the other side of the chassis mount to allow some give.

So far its only cost me €40, so much cheaper than buying the ones from the US
Pages: [1]   Go Up