Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JK Seatbelt Chimes OFF!! Mod  (Read 2992 times)

wrangler07

JK Seatbelt Chimes OFF!! Mod
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »

Just got this from a guy over on the JK-Forum so won't take credit where none is due but still thought I'd pass it on here as it worked a treat. I wear my seatbelt religiously and have done for many years so being reminded to put the ruddy thing on with 5 loud chimes after I switch the ignition to "on" is kinda redundant for me and it's ruddy loud and very annoying. Thankfully someone just posted a fix. :icon_super:

Underneath the driver's seat you'll find a plug which connects two wires that lead to the seatbelt connector, allowing the JK software to detect whether or not your seatbelt is fastened. If you open this up you'll find either 2 or 4 prongs on one side and 2 or 4 female holes on the other. In the male side insert some rolled up tin foil making sure it touches all the prongs simultaneously. Plug it back together and hey presto those darn chimes are a thing of the past!! :headbanger:

Now I'm not in anyway condoning not wearing your seatbelt! :eusa_naughty: But if you're like me and don't need reminding and you're the only one using your JK then turning it off is a relief unparalleled by any other free mod I can think of!! :003:

Here's a link to the original post which contains a picture for those of you who might need it:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?137944-how-to-disable-seatbelt-chime-2010-JK&p=2349368&viewfull=1#post2349368

Panic mechanic!

Re: JK Seatbelt Chimes OFF!! Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

I guess you never thought about the fact that they can also be used to tell  whether the seat is occupied so that it fires the airbag when  in a serious accident?

wrangler07

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »

I guess you never thought about the fact that they can also be used to tell  whether the seat is occupied so that it fires the airbag when  in a serious accident?

:icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Nope, never thought of that! :icon_eek: Is that true? I thought the airbags activated via impact and would never have entertained the idea that the seatbelt would have much to do with it. I can't really believe that a manufacturer would make it that way as there are still many folks who don't wear seat belts and I'm not even sure that you have to wear them by law in the US. You certainly don't in certain countries they export to. So I'd find it hard to believe that they'd be allowed to manufacture a safety system that only works for those who obey the law to it's letter.

wrangler07

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

On further contemplation your scenario to me seems even more implausible...if the car is involved in a serious collision then it normally would follow that someone is driving it, so surely the driver's side would activate regardless?

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »

That was the first mod I did when I got the JK.  The warning light still shows.

I don't advise driving without a seatbelt, but I do sometimes take off the seatbelt when parking or when offroad if I need to look out of the drivers window.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

wrangler07

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »

That was the first mod I did when I got the JK.  The warning light still shows.

I don't advise driving without a seatbelt, but I do sometimes take off the seatbelt when parking or when offroad if I need to look out of the drivers window.

Really? Did you do that with the plugs under the seat, too? There is procedure in the manual which allows you to deactivate the reminder chimes but not the initial chimes on turning the key in the ignition.

And what's your take on what Panic wrote above?

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »

Panic by name, ..........
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

ivanidea

• Expat - Livin' the dream...
  • Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler JL - 2dr Willys
  • Year: 2021
  • Florida
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »

The procedure I used is the genuine Jeep one from the manual, and no cables were interfered with.  It just disables the repetitive seat belt chime. 

I'm not too bothered about the starting without seatbelt chime.

I haven't looked for one to disable key in ignition when door is open yet. 

I thought all airbags went off in the event of a qualifying accident.
Current Jeep: 2021 Willys 2dr 3.6 Auto. Sarge Green + Tan Top.
Former Jeep (USA): 2016 Renegade 2.4L 75th Anniversary 4WD Auto.
Former Jeeps (UK): 2000 Cherokee 2.5TD Sport Manual, 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, 2008 Liberty 2.8CRD Limited Auto, 2011 JKU 2.5CRD Limited Auto.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »

Panic by name, ..........

does that mean bull dog by name..... bull shit by nature?

ok what I do for a job now is deliver seat for range rover sports and range rovers and for the new evogue, while it may not be true for older cars, newer cars use a lot of electronics in the seats, the range rovers do have  sensors in them to tell the management systems in them so that in the even of an accident to deploy the airbag, being a modern system they also think for themselves as in , if a seat is not occupied then there is no reason for it to deploy the airbag, hence like some other vehicles (ie hummer) there is also a manual key switch to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat if a child seat is installed there.
You are also  making the assumption that the car knows that it is being driven, if a truck  hits a parked vehicle the airbags ( cos they are now intelligent systems)  may not deploy as they assume the vehicle is empty  unless a sensor in the seat tells them something is in it.

what we do in the trucks is still plug the seat belt in but sit over it. Bodging something by using foil or something to short circuit a system is a danger in itself as  like many people will remember and any fireman will testify putting foil in anything like that like replacing a fuse can cause a fire in itself.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »

first off I never google anything and then claim it as my own knowledge, so bullshit doesnt apply to me, and secondly semantically that would be Bulldog by nature, and if you had googled that like normal ya would have got it right  :wave-fingersmiely:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

i will however give you the fire observation

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »

google? I don't need to google everything.

Tank

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »

Most if not all modern cars with both front airbags will have seat occupancy sensors and have done for years.Its a very common fault on BMWs for them to fail and cause the airbag light to illuminate.In a crash only the relevant airbags will deploy,so if theres no one in the passenger seat the passenger seat airbag will not deploy,and if you have a faulty or disarmed sensor then it could mean it shows seat as unoccupied even when it is

wrangler07

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

Hmm...OK. thanks guys. Will take a closer look at this.

Nosebolt

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »

OK this is purely from a "logical" point of a view ( I openly admit to knowing nothing about this system), but wouldn't the answer be to replace the buzzer with a non sound emitting resistor of the same value so the system thinks its intact and would therefore perform as designed

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »

there will be a seat belt usage sensor which could be silenced by fooling the sensor by shorting the two wires using wire rather than foil. The drivers and passengers seat should have seperate sensor wiring looms to sense an occupier, as the safety system has to cater for a driver who bypasses the seatbelt like some truck/cab and delivery drivers who find it takes too much time to click one into place (no valid reason why they shouldn't). so shorting out the seatbelt wont stop the airbag system deploying.

the driver system cant be switched off, but the front passenger can be deactivated normally by the ignition key with a positive disablement. this action is then stored in the ecu so in the event of an accident it can be confirmed whether the passenger airbag was active or not resulting in claim payout or not.

rather than isolating the seatbelt anchor, find the chime speaker and wrap foam isolation around it to muffle the chime to a lower level where it will become acceptable.

not sure if the jk has varying chimes to denote various problems with the car system.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up