Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can of worms opened.  (Read 3545 times)

Panic mechanic!

Re: Can of worms opened.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »

if stuck in the same engine and gearbox it would, a diesel revs lower thats why you get an increased distance for the amount of fuel burnt.thats why you get a increased distance travelled for the same volume of fuel.The diesel does burn more aggressively as it uses compression ignition rather than  a spark system , you could used the same system in a petrol car and it would go further than the diesel trouble is , it would blow itself to bits due to the compression needed to ignite it.

ferretjuggler

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »

If you really want to believe that it's up to you.

I know that volume for volume, petrol only has about 90% the calorific value of diesel, so on an equal level of technology diesel always goes further.

You can't compare a 1960 diesel Lard Rover against a brand new petrol Rav 4 or whatever.

Also, a petrol always guzzles more at tickover or stuck in traffic,  a lot more.

That's why the London black cabs went from 16mpg to 30mpg when they changed over.

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »

go here and take a look  the are pretty much the same. like I said same engine same gearbox and gearing same distance

http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/chemistry/3_11/3_11_4.html

ferretjuggler

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »

That gives calorific value relative to mass (weight for our purposes)

But we pay for fuel by the litre (volume) and diesel has a specific gravity between 0.82-0.96

Gasoline is 0.68-0.74

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-gravity-liquid-fluids-d_294.html

So a litre of diesel is heavier than a litre of petrol, and contains more energy :greggmo:

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

so whats the specific gravity of lpg?

Panic mechanic!

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

forget it I can't be arsed anymore I bow to the superior american sites you have been reading off. :banghead: :hysterical:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »

Right then...... Had a thought while walking the dog.........
A couple of months ago I was researching a car transporter based on the DAF LF 150 you can buy ex Argos deliv trucks with the slide of body or there are beaver tail transporters that come up for sale.......... I couldn't justify for the amount of times use per year.

BUT........they run the 6cyl Cummins turbo 5.9 diesel in 12 valve guise that has no brain or electrickery.... 150-180 bhp and 300 odd BHP its meant to do 20-25 in that set up .so more in a FSJ.....

There is also a 4litre 4 cyl version that is used in prison transport and they can do 30-35 allegedly?.....

point is I did see one engine and gearbox running until pulled all ancilleries on a pallet for shipping £800.....

Novak for mating to transfercase or gearbox change or run as is as 2 wheel drive as is..................

Just a very mad thought.............. and the wine bottle has not been opened......yet

ferretjuggler

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »

so whats the specific gravity of lpg?

Very low about 0.50 I am thinking, but can't be arsed to find it TBH.

Cummins swops popular on the IFSJA and I know they are relativly cheap and good on fuel.

Not sure if you can squeeze the six in without it sticking out the front on a FSJ :078:, but maybe that's just a Redneck conversion I saw :icon_eek: :017:

Got an idea a special (expensive) rad will get it in with no external evidence showing.

Worth forking out for a brand new low stall torque converter even.

Only big drawback is WTF does one of these lumps weigh :017:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

about 600 lbs or more but if a Dodge Ram on ghay coils can hold it up a man size FSJ with tough boy leaves will do it eaaaaasy :icon_twisted:

ferretjuggler

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »

True

I wouldn't want to run too much lift or too big tyres even on wide track FSJ axles.
Maybe 33" tyres with a 4" lift and maybe 2" body lift.
TBH I thought they were more like 8-900lbs
 I've driven a LD Roadrunner with one of these in and used to get 15-20mpg with a full load on.

Certainly a lot of bang for your buck, and once set up properly it's gonna outlive me most likely :icon_eek:
Not the sort of project I'd like to rush or do on the cheap though,
I think 1 ton axles would really be a good idea 'cos a cummins ain't gonna be kind on any drive train weakness.

You got me thinkin now :icon_eek:

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »

My how we have digressed!!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »

Isnt it possible to obtain a torque converter with a lockout in it? There are definitely some TF999 with them, but i suppose it depends what auto you want to use Mr Ferret  :102:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up